Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran

OIIIIIIIO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default more of what to do...

Hi,

I've got a rear end out in my 85 CJ7 wide track...

I have most but not all the parts and expertise for a swap to dana 44 front ford 9 rear with 4.56, ARB up front and mini spool in the rear...probably another $3k in parts and labor to get it done as I don't think I can do it myself...

Or i've got a bead on a stock wide track with 4.10 and lock right and narrow track rear with 4.10 and lock right for $500...seems pretty much bolt in...

Am i just being too impatient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

The Ford 9-inch isn't the best solution for a Jeep because the pinion is so low. That's not a deal killer, but something to consider. Also, $3K seems on the generous side. There's no reason you couldn't do the rear yourself. The front can be a bit more challenging, but isn't impossible for a reasonably competent home mechanic.

I don't think it's a good idea to mix the wide and narrow axles, although on a trail-only Jeep it's probably not a big deal. But if both your current rear and the narrow-track are AMC 20s, swap the rear internals. A Dana 30 and CJ AMC20 aren't real strong, but would get you gears and lockers cheap, and survive if you don't beat them too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Veteran

OIIIIIIIO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just trying to come up with options...

To recap...I was planning on going SOA with my axle swaps...along with a new tranny, etc...

What if I didn't go SOA...should make things a bit easier with the swap correct? Then not worry about the tranny...or at least not for a LONG time...would be nice to have a manual tranny for the kids to learn on in a couple years...

I have a Currie High 9 center section in an early bronco housing which should alleviate some concerns in the back. And should be relatively easy to put it.

The the hardest parts I think would be putting all the gears/lockers in the front (which I wouldn't do myself) and then setting the caster on the front yet...

I would still have the lift springs on the CJ which isn't ideal but works well enough...

I would have stronger axles (dana 44 up front, basically an 8.8 in the back) with higher gearing (4.56 vs 2.73) ...and I would be back on the road. I think I already have room to fit a bit bigger tire...currently have 33"...I trimmed the rear fender and put on some TJ flares and I trimmer the front fenders as well with a modified flat fender look...
I would guess I could fit 35" tires with minimal rubbing at full flex...

That would allow me to get going with what I have rather than monkeying around selling stuff for a pretty big loss and trying to get something else that would work, ideally bolt in but in reality I wouldn't find anything like that...

Can you see any draw backs...major things anyway...things I might be missing in my thought process?

Thanks for listening!
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.