Bolt on Bumper/ Tire Carriers? What's decent? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

barrelroll is on a distinguished road
Default Bolt on Bumper/ Tire Carriers? What's decent?

It's been years since I've looked for a bolt on jeep bumper and I have no clue what is decent any more. My parents have a '94 YJ and the tail gate is starting to rip apart where the spare tire mounts to it. It has a 31" ltb on a steel wheel hanging off of it and the jeep sees a ton of wash board road.

What's a decent affordable bumper/ tire carrier these days? I had a tomken 10 years ago and it was decent but I'm sure there's other people in the game these days. Ease of opening in not a huge deal but no rattles would be nice. It doesn't need to be fancy just hold a 31" tire and a 2" reciever would be a big plus.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Old Hand

myscrambler1 is on a distinguished road
Smile bolt on bumper/tire carrier

Hi here are photos of some of the different bumper/ combo i found when i wanted to build the one for the cj8 scrambler,,,, but i will tell you from want i found they are very costly,,,, the tire/carriers alone ran from 300.00 to over 450.00 and a heavy duty bumper with the tire unit went from about 450.00 to well over 1,200.00 that is why i built one from under 200.00 good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqV,!ikE2L5USPkQBN2.jpg (43.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqJ,!gwE160cou),BNj!E)Ey8!~~_12.jpg (25.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg c595_12.jpg (40.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 11546_22%20on%20JK.jpg (90.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg GarageSale_27669_1292292136.jpg (56.4 KB, 1 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jdoggmoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Rock Hard 4x4 but they aren't the cheapest. Their products are some of the best I've seen.

Actually, there are so many people out there building bumpers right now, I would have them search for something somewhat local to them. For instance, another reason my first recommendation is Rock Hard is because they are located about twenty five miles north of my driveway. I can actually drive to their facility, talk to the owners, get a small local discount and not pay shipping.

Quality bumpers are large and heavy, which makes then expensive and slow to ship. I bet just about anyone could find a decent bumper builder within a couple hour road trip of home.

My .02.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JeepDawg is on a distinguished road

Build your own like I did.....

The bumper is also an air tank....about 2.5 gal...

Link to my Frame up Restore
Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

barrelroll is on a distinguished road

If the jeep wasn't on an island with limited tools I would build one and I may still end up building one. I have a stick welder and an angle grinder out there but I've gotten spoiled these days.

$600+ for a bumper/ tire carrier is a bit much but I guess everything has gotten more expensive these days. These guys are semi local Wranger/CJ Rear Stage 3 Bumper: JcrOffroad, Inc.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast

Carnellc is on a distinguished road

Last year I I got a rear bumper / tire carrier from Hardrock 4x4. I did the install myself in a few hours. Easy to install, looks good and great support from the local family owed business!!! I got to meet them earlier this year in San Diego. I bought two gas can carriers for the bumper and they shipped them to me for free. They are a good bunch!

Just my 2 cents...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1-1.jpg (75.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-1.jpg (80.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3-1.jpg (83.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Novice

andreasue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myscrambler1 View Post
Hi here are photos of some of the different bumper/ combo i found when i wanted to build the one for the cj8 scrambler,,,, but i will tell you from want i found they are very costly,,,, the tire/carriers alone ran from 300.00 to over 450.00 and a heavy duty bumper with the tire unit went from about 450.00 to well over 1,200.00 that is why i built one from under 200.00 good luck
Wow this one looks indestructible! i want to have that one on my jeep! where can i find that one the internet? can you give me a good site to get it? oh please do not recommend me sites like ebay. thanks.

Last edited by andreasue; 08-20-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement