Weber cold start problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-1999, 07:16 PM
Addict

CJBEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weber cold start problem

Hi!! I have an 86 cj7 with the weber 32/36 carb. My problem is this: when the temperature is above 40 degrees outside, the engine starts fine, but when the temp is below forty, it will not start on the first try, and I have to stop cranking, and pump the gas pedal some more before it will start. It does not matter how many times I pump the pedal the first time I try, it will not start. Once the engine starts, the fast idle kicks up just like it is supposed to. last winter I still had the carter carb on it, and it started just fine, it just ran like junk after it warmed up. does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance for any advice given!!

Ben

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-1999, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Weber cold start problem

Sounds like your choke isn't closing all the way, take off the air cleaner and take a peek.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-26-1999, 06:52 AM
Addict

LooseNut is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with mine. Last week, after it sat for 4 days, I took off the air cleaner and pumped the throttle linkage to see if it was squirting gas down the throat. It didn't. I took off the top of the carb and the float bowl was almost empty. I think it's somehow leaking down the throat of the carb into the engine. I took out the power valve and blew it out in case it had something holding it open. I also tightened the main jets up. I still have the problem. I emailed Weber Redline, but no reply.

Does anybody have the answer to this one?

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Old 11-26-1999, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You guys should join that new Weber users group that just formed.... this way you can all share info.

"Simple is the task, when many share the toil"

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system
Old 11-27-1999, 04:51 AM
Addict

LooseNut is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in it, but we haven't figured it out yet!

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Old 11-27-1999, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Man,

I just got my first Jeep (a 1979 CJ-7) and it has a Weber 32/36mm Carb installed. I have been able to start this in any weather on the first try by pumping the gas 3-4 times BEFORE i crank it. Try that

Good luck

Kevin Speicher
President
New England 4x4 Club
http://www.ne4x4.com
79 Jeep CJ-7
Old 11-28-1999, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, I don't have an answer, but I've had my weber for over two years now. and the first start of everyday, no matter how many time I pump it (usually just once) I have to crank it for 6-10 seconds and then it starts. No biggy, just have a strong battery. once it starts, it's fine for the rest of the day.
I think it loses its gas somehow.
My2
Rob

Yellow87YJ
Old 11-28-1999, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This might be the same type of problem. Once it started getting cold I had to prime the carb with ether every time. Would start or idol until it warmed up. Just had the choke pull off repaced and now it starts good. Apparently this would cause poor starting, poor power and poor gas mileage whic I had. there has been an improvent in all of these. Cheap part. $25 Can. LenK

Old 11-28-1999, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually this may be caused by the carb getting too much fuel, I had this problem too. It turned out that the idle screw was turned in too far, so when you shut the engine off, the throttle is supposed to close all the way, but it didnt because the screw was adjusted too far. So overnight, fuel would drip in and flood the engine, making it very hard to start the first time. I just turned the idle screw out a little so the throttle closed all the way and it starts fine now.

Jebby--89YJ 3"susp. 3"body 32"Firehawks 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement