Tire Laws in PA, state inspection? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-1999, 09:32 AM
Veteran

3/4tonYJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tire Laws in PA, state inspection?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]Does Pennsylvania have a state inspection? can your tires stick out past your fender flares? do they enforce this law?

yesterday i was talking with a local "White Sands Jeep Club" member, he used to live in PA and told me they have this law.

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-1999, 11:15 AM
jeepfreak1

Default Re: Tire Laws in PA, state inspection?

YES,NO,YES

JF1<font color=yellow>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-14-1999, 12:09 PM
Veteran

thanks, i got one more, how about a bumper height law, do you how high can it be, or is it a measurement above stock location?

i'm asking because i'm moving to PA

3/4tonYJ
Old 11-14-1999, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know there is no bumper law, and in some places everything is negoatiable. Expcet the PIA computerized Philly emissions, wired directly to PennDOT so there is now way around it and the $65 fee (even if you only have to pass the lessened test in an older vechile). However the other 95% of the state has no emissions at all, which makes that test even more B U L L S H I T than it already is.
-MarkyMark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
Old 11-14-1999, 04:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GeeAea is an unknown quantity at this point

What county are you moving to YJ? Chester, Montgomery, Bucks (I think), Delaware, Philadelphia ......and Pittsburg (and maybe a few around Pitt) have "enhanced emissions" requirements......that's where they put the vehicle on a dyno and run it up to 15 mph or so.......I only paid $45 for that inspection + $25 (that may be where the $65 came from) for the regular safety inspection (they pull two wheels at odd corners of the vehicle plus the exhaust... suspension and such) I've seen a few cars with tires that extend beyond the body flares ......but not the tread......and if you're found with them extended too far ......you'll be known as a "pinch" for any of the local and state constabulary that haven't written a ticket in a couple of weeks and need a "target of opportunity" to get their sargent off their back. I once asked a state trooper that I knew why he pulled over "clubers" (local motorcyle club members -HDs) .....he replied that he was always guarenteed that they had at least 3 inspection violations......it was nothing personal. Plenty of "mini monster trucks" around .......

Welcome to Penna!

GeeAea

Old 11-14-1999, 06:30 PM
Veteran

thanks alot for all the info MarkyMark and GeeAea, i'm moving to York County. actually my YJ and some of my "stuff" is already there.
I was just hanging out with some Florida Jeepers this last weekend and heard a kind of horror story about him/his Jeep when he lived PA a few years ago. it got me starting to worry alittle.

3/4tonYJ
Old 11-14-1999, 08:39 PM
jeepfreak1

Here is a link to PennDot dont know if it will help but worth a try
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/home/index1.asp
also Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) does not have an enhanced emissions,(no dyno)they do however have onsite emissions testing

JF1<font color=yellow>
Old 11-14-1999, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

in october when I got mine inspected the total was $80. $20 for the saftey inspection and $55 for the emissions, plus tax.
-MarkyMark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
Old 11-14-1999, 10:13 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are lucky enough to drive less than 5k miles per year, the vehicle can get an exemption. This happened for me last year with my Cherokee and I only had to get the safety inspection. The mechanic told me that if the vehicle chronically fails the emissions part of the inspection, a waiver can be applied for if the vehicle is an older model. He told me my 86 would qualify because of its carbureted engine. Up to now, the XJ has always passed but it sometimes had to have a tune up to do so. I think that there is a maximum amount they can legally force you to spend in order to make it pass. I live in Philadelphia, Pa.

Old 11-15-1999, 04:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

GeeAea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there is a maximum of $150 for vehicles of under so many years model years......the figure for cars beyond that age is $125 (I think). But this is not quite true at all times. My 88 Corsica required a new cat.(as the computer rightly indicated)..........the repair facility "quoted" the list price for the item .......$225+labor .........so I would have exceeded the threshold ....but I still would have been out $300.....I guess they could have repaired other items to reach the $150 and left the cat go since I don't think that law states that they necessarily have to fix any one item on the emission controls in an attempt to achieve compliance ... .......I just bought the entire exhaust system (it needed it) front to rear for $175 and had it retested.
GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement