O/T New Dillon XL650 Reloading Press! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Veteran

TeamRush is on a distinguished road
Default O/T New Dillon XL650 Reloading Press!

Got a sexy new Dillon XL650 reloading press for xmas, and it's the greatest thing I've ever owned in the way of firearms!

You can crank out 500 rounds an hour with NO PROBLEM,
And we cranked out over 800 .223 Rem rounds in an hour without working very hard at all!

If anyone is on the fence between a 550 and XL650, make the jump to the 650!
Worth EVERY penny!

Caliber change isn't nearly as complicated as I though it was going to be, and it's pretty fast too (about 5 minutes).

HATES STICK POWDER!
If you have a bunch of stick powder laying around,
You might want to use that up before you break into a Dillon,
The Dillon powder droppers use charge bars, and it HATES stick powder,
Charge bar won't return on the upstroke, and you have to nudge the charge bar every single time.
(sometimes the 'Nudge' will need to be a little violent!)

Other than not being able to use the piles of stick powder I have around here,
This thing is GREAT!

I have two calibers right now (.45 ACP & .223 Rem) and it does GREAT with both!
Just super fast compared to my old manual index press!
Charges are consistent, seating and sizing are both very good...
I did spring for the EXPENSIVE Dillon carbide dies for both calibers, so I'm sure that helps cut back on the lubing I have to do for the .223 brass.

I did reuse my Lee factory crimp die,
Works better than the Dillon compression crimp die since I don't resize every single case...
I just check them with a case gauge, and if they aren't over the max, I just reuse them the way they are,
And those compression crimpers don't like that much.

Doesn't care if you use a cannalure bullet or not,
Doesn't care if the cases are all trimmed or not,
Can't beat that Lee factory crimp die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Apprentice

reddogeone is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard the dillons were the cats a$$ for rapid reloading. I was checking out rcbs's line of proggresive an everyone say's to buy a dillon. I have mainly rcbs non carbide dies.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

dorfs is an unknown quantity at this point

"If anyone is on the fence between a 550 and XL650, make the jump to the 650!
Worth EVERY penny!" --??

Why, I have had my RL550b for close to 20 years with no problems. The extra "stage" may be nice if you are trimming cases, but what do you use the 5th stage for? I still have the original invoice- $268.00 in 1991.

"Charge bar won't return on the upstroke, and you have to nudge the charge bar every single time."

Isn't there suppose to be a spring loaded powder measure return rod to prevent this?

Last year was the first time I loaded .223's on the Dillon, or any rifle rounds for that matter, and I have been very impressed on the accuracy of the powder charges. I used up some old BLC2 (lot number 2) kind of dirty, really like accurate 2460 and the old faithful H-335, TAC is also nice. They say it is important to use "small base" full length resizing dies in an AR for some reason, which is why I bought the Dillon carbide dies also.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfs View Post
Why, I have had my RL550b for close to 20 years with no problems. The extra "stage" may be nice if you are trimming cases, but what do you use the 5th stage for? I still have the original invoice- $268.00 in 1991.
Because I have an RCBS bullet feeder so I don't have to handle anything, and I use a Lee factory crimp die, which works great in this press.

This thing is SO MUCH FASTER than the old 550b 'Square Deal' I used to have it's not funny!
I load somewhere between 300 & 1,000 or more cases a MONTH... Depending on weather and how much or how many people are shooting around the house...
And since my GirlFriend likes me to reload her ammo and thinks this is something I should have,
I'VE GOT ONE!
(good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!
How can you go wrong with that! )

This XL650 is more accurate also, and I like that part...
Could have been my old 550b & Square Deal was getting some age/wear on them, so I don't have them anymore.

I should have kept the 550, but a yuppie decided to give me WAY more than it was worth, so I sold it.
Now I have a XL650 that is soon to be automated!

Quote:
"Charge bar won't return on the upstroke, and you have to nudge the charge bar every single time."

Isn't there suppose to be a spring loaded powder measure return rod to prevent this?
You took that out of context, which is usual.

With STICK POWDER the charge bar won't return to battery.
Pieces of the sticks roll up between charge bar and housing and prevent it from returning correctly..
Does fine with flake powder, but not even Dillon says you should use a flake powder with their powder droppers/charge bars.
Now I know why...

I *WISH* I could use one of the half dozen powder droppers I have around here, but they don't work with this my old 550 or this 650 worth a darn.
Costs you about $100 for the powder dropper, dies ect. (Caliber Change kit) but it's worth the three minute caliber change to have things 'Correct' when you slap it in there and start yanking the handle again!

Quote:
Last year was the first time I loaded .223's on the Dillon, or any rifle rounds for that matter, and I have been very impressed on the accuracy of the powder charges. I used up some old BLC2 (lot number 2) kind of dirty, really like accurate 2460 and the old faithful H-335, TAC is also nice. They say it is important to use "small base" full length resizing dies in an AR for some reason, which is why I bought the Dillon carbide dies also.
Don't care for TAC, but a lot of people like it.
I like something a little slower burning for my longer barrel varmint/target rifles.
BL-C(2) works OK, but again, it's a little hotter than I like for long barrels.

H335 works about as well as most of the powder I use, but it's a little 'Smuttier' to clean than some of the others,
Since I shoot mostly ARs, that's a big deal when it blows carbon back into everything.
Still use it for the bolt guns, and it's fine in them.

And since I shoot A LOT, carbon wear on the barrels is an issue for me since I don't normally shoot 'Standard' barrels...
Mine cost too much for me to add extra wear when I can just change to a cleaner burning powder.

Same reason I keep the muzzle velocities reasonable...
Barrel lasts MUCH longer!
When I control muzzle velocity, I don't need new ballistics tables for every round I chamber!
Good to be able to whip out the drop tables and it shoot right on the money every time!

Added to that is, prairie dogs and coyotes do NOT get a new lease on life because my ballistics tables were off!
They get just as dead from a bullet that was traveling 3,000 FPS at the muzzle as a bullet that was traveling 3,300 FPS or 4,000 FPS at the muzzle!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Journeyman

PHX? is on a distinguished road

I'll be looking into reloading soon, and I'll only buy Dillon.. Of course they are 30 minutes from my house and my Dad works there, so i may be a bit bias. But so far I have seen that Dillon's quality is very good.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==@=)_)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

I'm adding this to my sig in the future.............awesome line Aaron!

(good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Veteran

My favorite has always been,

Women are like Parking Spaces at Wal-Mart,
There are plenty,
But the good ones are taken, handicapped,
And the rest are WAY out in left field!

Nothing like a woman that will total the budget every quarter or so and says,
"We have $X00 dollars left in the monthly budgets, what do you want to buy in the way of Jeep parts, tools, camping gear or guns?"

You just GOTTA love a woman that makes sure everything is paid, the retirement accounts are funded, then gives the rest back to me for 'Toys'!
And did I mention she works full time, makes good money, and never complains about my Jeep/Guns habit?!

Last edited by TeamRush; 01-28-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Smokngun is an unknown quantity at this point

Dillon presses ROCK! I have had my RL550B for a month longer than the 650 has been out (was kinda pissed about that). I bought my 550 and the next issue of "The Blue Press" had the brand new RL650 in it! I absolutely love my 550 though, the only thing that I see the 650 as an advantage for my needs is the case feeder. It would help to load a little faster, but the 550 is so versatile that I can't 'Not' like it.

As far as stick powders go, the big ones like IMR 4064 won't flow well. Smaller stick powders like Accurate 2495, and any of the 'short cut' powders seem to work pretty well in mine. I load all of my rifle and pistol match ammo on it with exception of .300 mag for my F-Class gun.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran

H322 & Benchmark work fine, they are 'Short Stick' and they seem to do very well in the XL650, with nearly no 'Issues',

The old standbys, Winchester, H335, ect. have ZERO problems and the charge bar works VERY accurately.

RCBS bullet feeder works good with it, and with the case feeder from Dillon, it's truly a pull and push operation!

Working on an air piston that powers both UP, and Down on the ram so all you have to do is push the foot pedal and go to town!

I've tried electric automation before, and I can't control the ram like I can with air cylinder,
Soft approach, good pressure on the ram, then powered 'Down' stroke like I can with an air cylinder.

Adjustable for short pistol or long rifle cases and everything in between...
I don't care who you are, there ARE going to be misaligned cases from time to time, and all the electric units I've seen crush the case,
I wanted something I could control the pressure on the 'Up' stroke to keep that from happening, and this air cylinder is looking promising...

All it took was a way to add extra air pressure when the case neck entered the resizing die, and that was pretty simple,
I expect about 1,000 rounds an hour once I work the 'Kinks' out!
That is sure going to take the 'Pain' out of reloading!

Had to get a new case cleaner! Wore the old one out cleaning the scads of cases I had stored!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

dorfs is an unknown quantity at this point

"That is sure going to take the 'Pain' out of reloading!"

I enjoy reloading all most as much as shooting. There is something about polishing the brass to look like gold, "feeling" the brass resize down nice and smooth, and hand selecting your target loads with a good seating primer which was rotated. Even making brass for my new .22 Dasher out of old 30-06, .243, and 22-250's. There is a feel of soft brass like Norma and even LC Match that gives a since of pleasure. Even using different lubes for resizing (old Imperial sizing wax is my favorite). Using different powders, charges, and bullits to tune in your rifle for the tighest group. Logging everything in the book with the data transfered to the target and indexed with temp and wind velocities for future references is fun.

The "pain" for me would be shooting Smokinguns' 300 Win Mag. more that about 5 rounds. In fact I'm thinking about selling my Sendero because I just don't enjoy shooting anything that hurts my wimpy little arms anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement