Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 04:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California
GoldToyBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flat Towing ..... tips, helps, thoughts

I've towed stuff all over the West but always on a trailer, never flat towed a vehicle.

I'm delievering the tow vehicle and towed vehicle (500 miles) and don't want to rent a trailer or leave mine 500 miles from home.

What do I need to do?
I have built the "A" frame & a light bar and mounted them to the towed vehicle.
I was going to 'tie down' the steering wheel but how are you guys doing it?
Tieing down hard or loose with some slack? (vehicle doesn't have a key locking steering wheel).
What are you tieing it down to? Wing window frame (doesn't sound safe??) Brake pedal? or ??????
Anything else I should be aware of? I don't want to "learn any lessons" on this trip.
Thanks

Last edited by GoldToyBox; 07-24-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammer & spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

If the towed vehicle will roll fairly straight if you release the wheel, it will continue to do so when it's towed. You shouldn't need to tie the steering wheel. I have never tied the wheel of a towed vehicle. Now it you tow it backwards with the back wheels up on a dolly, you have to tie the steering wheel.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

pontiac58 is an unknown quantity at this point

You cant tie off the wheel. Its has to be able to turn. If you tie it off it will just drag around corners.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

GTB, back in the mid-'70s we had several vehicles that logged 100K miles behind a motorhome. The '70 VW would occasionally start the "herky-jerky" (steering wheel swinging wildly side to side) when being towed. It went to several alignment shops trying to find the "misalignment" to NO satisfaction. Since it only happened a couple times per trip max, it wasn't a big deal, but did require slowing way down as it started before accelerating again (not always easy with the MH/VW combo). One day I was loading folding chairs into the bug for the ride home, ended up with a couple extra bungee straps (the old rubber type), & didn't want to misplace them, so I clipped it on the bottom of the steering wheel to the bottom of the seat.... Yeap! the slight resistance on the steering wheel CURED the jerking & still allowed the wheel to spin.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement