Wiring electric fan for thermostat and dash toggle??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Journeyman

Warthog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wiring electric fan for thermostat and dash toggle???

Hey guys,

Been doing some searching around here and with google, but couldn't seem to find a good answer to this issue.

My clutch fan is on it's way out, so I picked up a good electric fan out of a 5.9l Grand Cherokee at the Jeep wreckers and plan on adding it to the old 4.0l in the YJ. Now what I would like to do is have a three position toggle on the dash as well as have an adjustable thermostat:
position 1 - overide on(incase the the fan doesn't kick on for some reason)
position 2 - overide off(for any reason i would want to turn it off, say water crossing or something)
position 3 - auto(controlled by thermostat)

Now I am no wiring genius, but I can follow instructions pretty accurately. Will this be possible to do, or am I trying to fit 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag? If I have the override on, is it worth it to have the adjustable thermostat, or should I just go with a good single temp one? Or can it be wired to just take a reading right from the stock temp sensor?

Also, it seems everyone and there dog makes fan wiring kits and adjustable thermostat kits. Any suggestions on which one to go with?

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

What would you like to use, a toggle or rotary switch?

You need a single pole - double throw with center off position switch (center off because that is common). You could also use a three position switch like a Jeep wiper switch or 3 position fan switch. You wire the load to the common lug and the different sources to what is normally the load lugs.

I would assume your temp sensor provides a ground when the set temp is reached. That means you need to wire +12v power to one side of the relay. Wire the other side of the relay to the common lug on the switch. Wire your temp switch to a lug and wire the remaining lug to ground.

Last edited by CJ7Taz; 04-23-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

You mean single pole, double throw?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
You mean single pole, double throw?
Yeah, I did. Double pole Ė single pole would be hard to find.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Veteran

TeamRush is on a distinguished road

I've covered this a bunch of times on other forums...

And it's back to basics!
APPLICATION, APPLICATION, APPLICATION!

What kind of driving/wheeling do you do,
And what do you expect out of your system?

First off,
Circuit protection is MANDATORY, and CRITICAL in some applications!
I use self resetting circuit breakers instead of fuses.
Every time you forget to turn the fans off and hit deep water, you are going to hit the circuit protection!

Fans can suck up to 70 or 80 amps when you drag them down in water, so roughly a 15 to 30 amp breaker is a good idea.

If you use fuses or fusible links, you are going to spend a BUNCH of time changing fuses if you do water/mud a lot!

Secondly,
Don't forget a 'Oh Sh!t' light/buzzer!
Just like you will forget to turn the fans OFF,
You are likey to forget to turn them back ON when you clear the water/mud, and that can get SERIOUS QUICKLY!

I use a low oil pressure/high temprature light and buzzer,
(buzzer because I don't watch the gauges/lights when I'm wheeling! Most people don't!)

That light/buzzer will tell you when to turn the fans back ON after you turn them off, and just might save your engine in the process!

Third,
Do you want to use DUAL fans, or have a 'Soft Start' on the fans?
Dual fans can come on staggered so they don't draw a bunch of amperage all at once with them both starting at the same time,
'Soft Start' is reduced current to the fans to start them slowly, then direct current to them for maximum cooling speed...

Now, What I have is fans that turn on automatically (redundancy, they turn on no matter what unless I command them 'OFF')
Saves an 'ON OVERRIDE' circuit...

And I have a switch to turn the fans off when I want them off... Good for water/mud fording mostly.

Fourth,
Consider an automatic switch hooked up so it turns the fans ON/Off (unless you override) automatically when you hit deep water.
Like a sump pump switch with float,
Or a boat bilge pump switch,
It would interrupt the fan relay circuit when the float gets into enough water that it 'Floats'...

Fifth,
Consider DUAL fans for redundancy if you wheel off the beaten path.
'76 forward Jeeps have a radiator that accepts Ford Contour (Taurus, Topaz, ect.) DUAL fans really well,
And the fans are COMMERCIAL GRADE, not the cheap crap you usually get from the parts stores.
They come with good (Water Tight) connectors, and they fit like a glove.

If one fan quits, you can 'LIMP HOME' on the remaining fan, and all it costs you is an extra relay (about $12).

I have a '73 jeep, so it has a 'Pusher' in front of the radiator, and a 'Puller' in the back of the radiator.
One is a Hayden I purchased off the shelf at Advanced Auto, the other is from an '89 Cadillac and it works well!
Since the radiator is smaller in the early AMC Jeeps, I couldn't use the Taurus/Topaz/Contour fan set, although I've put a few in for other people...

So let me know what you want to do, and I'll try and link you to some wiring diagrams that will help you out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Addict

Booger is on a distinguished road

The other day when I was in the electric supply they had a whole wall full of SP/DT, SP/ST, DP/DT and just palin old SP toggle and pushbutton switches. They are not hard to find, IF, you know what you're looking at and if you listen to taz better have the fire dept standing by.

BOOGER

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
The other day when I was in the electric supply they had a whole wall full of SP/DT, SP/ST, DP/DT and just palin old SP toggle and pushbutton switches. They are not hard to find, IF, you know what you're looking at ...
Whatís Sarah got to do with this?

He needs center off for his application.

Quote:
... and if you listen to taz better have the fire dept standing by.
Ya know youíre near the top of the mountain when those below you are always trying to knock you off.

Rather than attacking me, using the Tonya Harding approach, you could try the Nancy Kerrigan approach and spend the time bettering yourself. You could come away with some benefits but thatís probably too hard for you.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Addict

Booger is on a distinguished road

Just a mis-spell palin has nothing to do with it, you're on on top of a pile of dung, the last place I want to be, I never claimed to be on top of nothing. I know one thing for certain, you don't know electric. We're not in bootcamp anymore, or the army, just stating the facts Mam.

BOOGER

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
I know one thing for certain, you don't know electric.
You have anything to base that on or you just like going around making accusations without substantiation (the internet equivalent of breaking kneecaps)?

What do bootcamp and the army have to do with anything? Those surely arenít misspellings.

And itís maíam.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JeepDawg is on a distinguished road

I am quite happy with me DC Control variable speed fan controller..

One toggle switch...center off...up, bat to the AC input...forces the fan on not matter what....down pos applies power from the ign input....translation, center off...up, full speed, down, normal variable operation....

Love the thing....I get on the fwy...it shuts down because the air moving through the radiator is enough to cool the water.....city traffic...fan runs at slow to a med speed....I have yet to see it go to full speed....not hot enough outside yet....
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement