motor mount location for 2.5 to 4.3 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Stranger

redneckjeep331250 is on a distinguished road
Default motor mount location for 2.5 to 4.3 swap

i have an 87 wrangler yj i am swapping the 2.5 for the 4.3. i would like to know if i have to move the motor mounts.and if so what is the measurement of this move.also wondering if i should go manual or auto??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Welcome to the board! I can't help with the motor mount move, but can with the transmission question. Short answer: Yes.

We've kicked that around many times, and the answer seems to be that it's mainly a matter of personal preference. Personally, I can't imagine how an auto could hold a candle to a stick in tight, technical crawling.

I've watched auto Jeeps getting over rocks and logs, and when the tires first encounter an obstacle they stop. More power is fed in until they finally start to crawl up. Then the tires get over the top and the Jeep leaps forward. It just looks messy and hard to control, but lots of guys have autos and in the end, go everywhere a similar stick Jeep can go.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Stranger

Default thank you for your reply

thank you for your reply. i am now leaning back toward the manual tranny, my only question with that is can i take the bell housing off of my jeep tranny and swap it out for a chevy bell houseing? that would save me a lot of money. i am on a verry limited to cheap budget.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Old Hand

myscrambler1 is on a distinguished road
Smile motor swap info

ok dont know what trans you are planing on using behind the chevy v6 4.3 but take a look at the cj8 scrambler pic way back when i started the rebuild.......... it had the pont iron duke motor 4 cyl in it and the bellhousing was a match for both the 4.3 and chevy sb v8.............. dont think the jeep one will work......... but their are plenty of chevy bellhousing in the junk yards and all the chevy v8 and 4.3 v6 in the years up too about mid 90,s should interchange............ but why 4.3 why not go the chevy sb motor............ as for the motor mounts you can see the ones i used are from trans adapt and they bolt up using the holes in the jeep frame.......... no drilling they make all the parts pcs you will need for either the 4.3 or a v8 chevy.... hope this helps some.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0246.JPG (70.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0294.JPG (89.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 377.jpg (105.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0185.jpg (103.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg jeep rebuild 81 scrambler 016.jpg (107.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Stranger

Default gas money

id have to say gas money is the reason for the v6. and weight for the v8. i do mostly mud riding and some rough trail rides.....i looked on my frame for bolt holes to mount the new mounting points. unfrotunatly there are none there. i also went with the v6 so i wouldnt have to move the mounts or so i thought. it is the same length as the 2.5 i already have. where its different is its wider, but not wide enough i need to shim out from the motor to the mounts.truely i wont know the measurement untill i get my trans problem solved. i was tryin to jump ahead to have something to do....
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on the info on Novaks site regarding the GM 90* blocks to AX-15 tranny, you might be better off money/fab time wise scoring a 4.3L w/ NV3550 or 700R4 out of a S-10/Blazer/Astro.

Novak also covers the motor mounts, but I understand the concept of more time than $$... if you need to build them yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement