muriatic acid in radiator??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Journeyman

cordova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default muriatic acid in radiator???

When I worked at a boat yard I saw a mechanic submerge a heat exchanger in muriatic acid to remove deposites and corrosion. Has anyone flushed a Rad. with this stuff? I've also seen the acid desolve an aluminum can pretty quick and eat the bottom off of a coffee can over night. I would guess it to be VERY RISKY at best.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

I believe that radiator shops use it to clean out radiators and as a prep for soldering. Or at least they did in the past. What it's best for is removing hard-water deposits, which you shouldn't have if you've been flushing and changing regularly. Distilled vinegar will get rid of that yuck a lot more safely, and probably cheaper too.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly would NOT use it full strength. Dilute it at least 20:1 with water (always add the acid to the water, not the water to the acid.) That will give you 5% strength.

But, it's better to get stuff at the parts house designed for cleaning radiators.

Muriatic - Hydrocloric - HCL is used for etching and dissolving aluminum and brass. Is that what you want - to dissolve the tubes?

Before using it, run a cleaner through it. HCL will not dissolve grease or oil.

Full strength works great to eat rust away - it removes the oxygen from the ferric oxide (rust), then the iron particles from the rust falls off as a black powder.

You have to neutralize it - even if you rinse it good. If any is left on, it will promote corrosion. Use lots of baking soda mixed with a little water.

I had a seat track that was very badly rusted - I soaked it in HCL for about an hour, rinsed it, neutralized it - almost as good as new.

Wear eye protection!!!!!!! Dangerous stuff!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

SilentBob2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea about muriatic acid, but my step dad uses a cheap dollar store toilet bowl cleaner to flush radiators. Im not sure what kind of acid is the toilet bowl cleaner but it works good Im pretty sure he flushes out the antifreeze before he put's it in. Now I realy feel like a redneck!!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Apprentice

ema is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't also use it purely on the radiator. It might cause some chemical reactions which is eventually not what your car needs.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

Use acetic acid also known as vinegar. Use the white, your radiator won’t care about the cider flavor.

Drain and flush with water. Refill with one gallon vinegar and fill with water. Drive it for a day, drain and refill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement