YJ small block chevy swap. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Taz

Default YJ small block chevy swap.

I remember reading somewhere about a kit for installing a small block chevy in my YJ. Has anyone here done this? I'm curious about your experiences before I look further into this. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

It's not quite that simple... to do it right you'll need to change:
  • wiring
  • emissions
  • exhaust
  • motor mounts
  • radiator
  • associated accessories
  • engine to transmission adapter, or
  • If using GM transmission, transmission to transfer case adapter
  • Drive lines to take additional power
  • Rear end to take additional power.
  • Possible front spring mods
  • Fuel pump (if it's fuel injected)
  • Possible gas sender,
  • ... and the list goes on, this was off the top of my head...
IMHO, you usually loose more than you gain. If your intent on a V8, drop in an AMC 360.
  • What are you trying to gain from a V8 swap?
  • Will it really give you what you want?
  • Do you know how much this is going to cost (a whole lot)?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

First you need to know about the emissions laws in your state and what restrictions it puts on engine swaps.

I put a Chevy TPI in my CJ, but it was pretty simple. No inspections in Kansas, so that wasnít a problem.

I already had the T-176 transmission, which was strong enough to hold up to a larger engine so it was a matter of buying a bellhousing that bolted them together. I also had to buy a wiring harness and have the exhaust done. Iíd already swapped to a 3-core radiator when a solder joint came loose and let the old radiator go into the fan. For me it was pretty simple but I did a lot of research before I attempted it.

I donít know YJ so youíll have to look into what transmissions you can use or if yours will handle it. Itís a pretty common swap so you should be able to find a lot of information on it. Do the research and do it right and youíll enjoy it. Fail to do the research and go at it haphazardly and youíll likely be trailering it to sell as scrap.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Check my advice in your other post.

What engine is in your YJ now? The back axle definitely won't hold up to a potent V8, and the front axle is marginal IMO although some folks have made them last for years. If you have the six cylinder the transmission is probably one that won't take it either. To do a V8 swap into a YJ you really have to want it. And have a thick wallet, even if you do all of the work yourself.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JeepDawg is on a distinguished road

If you are wanting to go with a newer engine....and long as it is basically hooked up the same way as it came out of the donor vehicle, emmissions laws are not an issue....

I put a 93 5.7L TBI in my 84 CJ....I used the 4L60 tranny that came with the engine (computer controls both the engine and tranny).

The project took me 2 years...but I was also do a frame up restore and spent a lot of time out of town on business.

Excluding the cost of the engine and tranny, the swap cost me about $1500. One thing leads to another.....

A stock D35 will not last long behind a SBC.....

You might want to consider the Chevy 4.3 V6. If you get one out of an S10 Blazer that already has 4wd...the xfer case drop is on the drivers side like your YJ...the engine is short so you have plenty of room...you won't have to shorten your driveshaft...you will most likely be able to use the existing tranny cross member with just a couple of mods...and it puts out about 220HP....and gets good gas mileage....
Link to my Frame up Restore
Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Old Hand

myscrambler1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up sb chevy swap

hi most of these guys have heard this before but but may 2 cents is: if you want it do it.... take your time, research, dont be in a hurry, and your will love it when you get it done, i sure love mine.. it is a 305 built up in a 1981 cj8 scrambler, i dont know about a yj either but i would just get all the info on doing a cj and go from their,,,, i have hundreds of pic of my complete ground up or should say frame off rebuild if you need anything that i can do to answer any questions just ask
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 379.jpg (103.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 378.jpg (102.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 377.jpg (105.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 382.jpg (104.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 PM
patrickmintun

Default V8 swap kit?

I also want to swap in a Chevy in my YJ. I have a 350tpi with ecm and a painless harness I picked up. not sure yet if I want 700r or th350, but I have one of each. I read some where you can use the front half of an s10 transfercase on the jeep transfercase to adapt. has any one done this? Also want to know about a Kit? or headers and mounts

Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JeepDawg is on a distinguished road

I would go with the 700r hands down....besides having the 4th gear, it is tougher (later models) than the TH350...the 700r is somewhere between the old 350 and 400 trannys....

As for the S10 xfer case....the setup used in the S10 blazers was typically a 4.3 TPI, 4L60E tranny and NP231 (I think). Basically, you can take the S10 setup and swap that into your a YJ without a lot of mods.

Motor mounts....I would suggest Novak over Advanced Adapter.

Headers? Don't waste your time and money....Jeeps are rock crawlers...unless you like to run your engine in the 5000 RPM range or higher all the time....the TPI puts out plenty of power....save the money so you can replace the D35 when you destroy it.
Link to my Frame up Restore
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mbalbritton is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like he's in SC, so no emmissions there to worry about.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Old Hand

Dex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine swap

my 75 76 77 cj5 fiber glass body all rewired head light to tail light all of dash and a built 350 chevy but--- just threw a rod threw the oil pan #3 cyl. bent the valve tore the block up so now im looking to get a 327 o and replaced all i could with stainless bolts , yes then i can take out a leaf or two and do away with the 7 qt oil pan thats in way of front drive shaft if i do so, need to look into my 3 speed trans and the transfer case?? if i can find out what they are nn its 44s front and back if im right ,,, not a jeep person like some on here i just like strong and thumping engines-----excertia excertia excertia BOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.