Jeep doesn't idle after Battery went dead. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Stranger

cyberunlimited is on a distinguished road
Default Jeep doesn't idle after Battery went dead.

Hello, the lights on my 1999 Wrangler TJ were left on and the Battery went dead. I jumped it and now it won't idle. Is this the Computer, it ran fine before the Battery went dead. Would disconnecting the Battery for a while reset the Computer? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

It's not an uncommon problem.... I'd disconnect the battery and let it set overnight... and reconnect and see what happens.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Stranger

cyberunlimited is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

There can be problems when you jumper the TJ... I'll be darned if I can remember why, it may have destoryed the PCM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually it just needs a reset. Un hook the battery overnight.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

How old is your battery? Sometimes an old battery that is just holding on will die compleatly after it has been allowed to drain totally. I know this because I killed the battery in my cherokee a few months ago by letting it run all the way down.

I have experenced the same problem you describe with a no run after jumping a few times as well with batteries I know were good. Sometimes you don't have an option of letting the jeep sit overnight with the battery disconnected. (like if you leave your lights on at work and you need to drive home at the end of your shift)
One solution I have found to work is.... Get the Jeep started, and keep the RPM's up to keep it running and don't let it stall. If you can keep it running for 10 min or so everything will level out and the jeep will act as normal.
Just be careful for those 10 min, driving a jeep on the road that won't idel isn't all that safe.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IN2DEEP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm betting that the alternator is putting extra drag on the motor, causing it to die. If you didn't charge the battery back to a decent level, it will take the alternator a little while to do this. Once it's back to a maintainable level, the alternator won't strain the engine as much, and it should be back to normal...........

Get the jeep started, and take it on a long drive, preferably on the interstate and during the day so you aren't using that much voltage.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

dorfs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re-learn

It is a re-learn, not a re-set. When the battery voltage drops below 9.6 volts, all long term adaptives are lost, or re-set to 0. You must leave the battery hooked up and drive the Jeep a few miles after warmed up in closed loop. Once this is done, it will remember new learned adaptives and idle correctly.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

Modern vehicles need more electrical power to run than just the ignition... fuel pump, injectors, computer, etc. Your alternator doesn't put out enough to run everything at idle and with your battery still dead and being charged, just couldn't do it. Put a charger on your battery and if it is good, you'll be back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement