Alternator Charging Woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

DuaneD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternator Charging Woes

I am having charging issues with the OEM alternator/electrical system on my 1994 4.0L motor that is in my 85 CJ. My dash OEM volt gauge shows about 10.5V at engine idle. Increasing RPMs does not increase charging voltage. Using my digital volt meter, I get about 11 volts across the terminals. I pulled the alternator and went to my neighborhood AutoZone where I had them bench test the unit. AutoZone said the alternator was fine and in all operating parameters. I reinstalled the alternator and cleaned all the battery terminals, cables, and wiring connections to the alternator. Even used scotch brite pad on the nuts and connectors, put dielectric grease on my all alternator connections too. This did not help. BTW, I run a separate ground wire from the AC compressor bracket to the battery. What else should I check and do guys?

The markings on my alternator are;
5600 5685
IN 121000-3450 12V
Family 90HS Denso 70113

I am not sure what the stock amperage is on this OEM alternator, can anyone tell me?
If I need to replace this alternator, what would be an OEM replacement (Jeep/Dodge) that would provide greater amp output but be a easy swap that I could find in the junk yard? I don’t have the cash for a new mean green or similar type alternator.

Thanks for the support and help.

Last edited by DuaneD; 08-17-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

The first guess is that it's not geting the "excite" voltage that it needs to bootstrap itself up. Sometimes if you really wing the revs up you can spin the alternator fast enough to make it start charging. Once is gets going it will keep on charging, even at idle, until you shut the engine off. See if you can do that and get it to put out 14 to 14.5 volts.

If you can, there's a discontinuity in the circuit between the ignition switch and the alternator, but if it's using a Denso alternator the circuit is probably different from the Delco units I know about. Someone else will have to help you track it down.

If really revving the engine doesn't do it, you need to try jumping from the battery to a terminal on the alternator while the engine is running, but on a Denso, I don't know where terminal that would be. If there are two wires, it will be the smaller one. If there are more or fewer than two, I'm lost.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

Idiot light?
If so - Key on, engine off - does the light come on? Should be "yes."

Engine Running - bulb on then? Should be "no."

I know that sounds like "busy work" and would be obvious, but -

Reason I asked is the excite current for the alternator comes through the light. If the light's burned out, it can't charge.

The bulb check also checks not only the bulb, but the excite wiring itself.
It runs from "ignition switched 12 volts," through the bulb, to the alternator (or if it has a separate regulator, to that.)

If the above bulb checks are fine, then - Engine Off, Key Off - measure right at the big alternator terminal - should be 12 volts. If not, check the wiring between that terminal and the batt +.

Autozone testers have tested lots of defective alternators as "good." Reason is most people buy their alternator without bringing it in to be tested first. When the new or rebuilt Alternator they just bought doesn't work properly, they bring it back. Before adjusting one for warrantee, Autozone requires it to be tested first.
Naturally all their trash will test OK so they don't have to exchange it. Their test will not usually detect a bad diode, or a bad diode trio. They all will test good. Verify that by taking that same alternator to an alternator shop so they can test it - you'll see.

Last edited by RRich; 08-18-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Has anyone ohmed out the rectifer pack? One of the diodes could be bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.