Play in the steering wheel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Journeyman

homepagez is on a distinguished road
Default Play in the steering wheel

Ok - now that the brakes are worked out and the Jeep passed inspection (thank god) - I'm off to the next project.

There is way to much play in the steering wheel IMHO. There is a 3 inch swing to the wheel before the tires begin to move. This seems excessive yes? It causes the Jeep to wonder down the road sometimes which is a little unsettling.

I've checked the linkage and everything is tight. The play appears to be in the power steering box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Perhaps redundant, but what
  • Year
  • Make
  • Model
  • Power Steering or
  • Manual
  • lifted?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Journeyman

* Year : '81
* Make: Jeep
* Model: CJ7
* Power Steering : Yes
* lifted: Yes - 4 inches I think - we had some discussion about that a few weeks ago. I believe the lift is via a 4 inch spring lift.

-John
Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

.... and the geometry of the lift has been done right?

If you have someone turn the steering wheel, do you see the steering shaft joint move immediately?

If you do, then it may be time to rebuild the steering box, or get a rebuilt ...or new one.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

The box can be adjusted, but it's not recommended that you do it on the vehicle. You need an inch-pound torque wrench to do the job. If you want, send me an e-mail address and I'll send the scans from the FSM. The cost of the tool probably exceeds what a frame shop would charge to adjust it.

I really doubt that the linkage is all tight. Have a buddy rock the wheel back and forth that three inches while you go through the linkage end to end. Put your fingers on each connection. If you feel any clunking or slack, it's too much.

Also watch the steering box. Often the bolts holding it to the bracket, and the bracket to the frame, get a little loose and let the box move around. And the frame can twist, which you can cure with a brace to the opposite side frame rail.

Also watch the axle and front springs. If the spring clips are missing or the bushings worn the axle can shift sideways.

It's not easy to get the steering tight on a CJ, and it can't be done without checking and fixing everything.

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 08-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

jgermann is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem on my 94 YJ, I posted a thread and I belive Jim have me the same advise. It was the 2 bottom bolts on the steering box. They weren't very loose at all but that is where the play was. I just torqued them down as tight as I could and it helped a lot. I still have to do it everynow and again but it nothing a little locktite can't take care of.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Yeah, that question comes up so often here that I should just put it in a link somewhere.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Journeyman

Well - I went under the CJ7 today and had someone twist the steering wheel back and forth. There was one nut which was a little loose but had very little effect on the amount of play in the wheel.

Is this normal for CJ's? Am I doomed to having about 3+ inches of play in the steering wheel? Should I look into rebuilding the power steering box?

-John
Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM

The box probably doesn't need rebuilding; just adjusting. In 90K miles I've done mine three or four times.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Journeyman

Adjusting the steering box is not recommended? Can you explain why?

Is it just an issue of getting a inch-pound torque wrench? If so - what's the process on how one goes about adjusting a steering box? Never been down this path before.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement