Where can I buy Dana 44 Camber shims??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Journeyman

Warthog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where can I buy Dana 44 Camber shims???

Hello again,

So I was standing out in front of the YJ the other day admiring the new lift and axles and I noticed it appears I have some postive camber, as the top of the wheels are sticking out a bit. I did the alignment at home, so the toe angle should be within a 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch, but would this affect camber if it was off? The caster was set between 6-8 degrees.

I did some searching for this and I found that you can either use the camber/castor corrector tapered sleeves in the balljoints, or there is a shim that bolts in behind the spindle.

Does anyone know where I can find the shim that bolts in behind the spindle? Also is there a way I can measure for the number of degrees, like placing a level against the hub vertically and then use a degree finder on top?

Or would it be best to take it by the alignment shop and have them determine the amount of degrees positive it is and get the correct shim?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jdoggmoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's one place on line.
Shims

They are kind of pricey. My Scout D44 had a slightly different version installed and I found another style a couple years back when I was searching for scout axle parts. Can't find that link now.

Mine have eight holes and you simply rotate the shim until you have the desired camber. I don't know the spec, I just tried to get as close to zero as possible.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Veteran

bandhmo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never knew such a thing existed, neat idea.

This may or may not help.

I know my friends 77 scout Dana 44 with Dana 30 outers has a lot of positive camber. After some research we found that this is because scout used a different angle on the ball joints then everyone else. They used the different angle on the ball joints so as the steering was turned this lifted the front of the truck. As this is why Internationals could run with zero caster while most other rigs needed some.

If you have a axle made up from multiple sources of parts you may have the same issue. We have yet to work out a solution on my friends rig as it is in the middle of a frame off and a off road only rig anyway. The shims are a neat idea though.

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Journeyman

Warthog is an unknown quantity at this point

That could be the reason why I am having a positive camber issue. I'm using a Early Bronco Dana 44 with Chevy knuckles and spindles and Ford Hubs and Rotors....pretty much a mix-mash of parts. I'm sure the axle housing isn't bent, and the positive camber appears to be the same on both sides....at least to the naked eye.

Anyway gonna order these and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement