'88 Jeep Wrangler Wiring Diagram for Trailer Lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Yogi_Bear

Default '88 Jeep Wrangler Wiring Diagram for Trailer Lights

I need some help in finding a wiring diagram for my '88 Jeep Wrangler, so I can hookup some trailer lights to my jeep? I tried looking for the OEM connector but have been unable to locate it, I want to splice right into the connector intstead of using the 'light bulb connector'!!!

Last edited by Yogi_Bear; 02-06-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Update.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

In older Jeeps there's a bundle of wires running along the top of the left fenderwell, and I think that's how it was done on yours. The only connector is in front of the driver's door, so it's not realistic to connect there. Instead open up the loom and splice directly into the wires at the back corner of the tub.

And don't use those Skotch Lock thingies. Strip the wires, solder them, coat the joint with liquid electrical tape and then wrap them individually with vinyl electrical tape.

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 02-06-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Yogi_Bear

Thanks for your response Jim, I am guessing I should pull the left taillight out to access the wires?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lomodyj is on a distinguished road

Probably be easier to go in at the back corner of the Tub. Open the tailgate look left, if your jeep ever had a hard top there will be a plug in the corner for the dome light, it comes out of a loom that has all the tail light wiring in it. There is a grommet there where the loom drops into the wheel well. Do the splicing above the wheel well (near the roll bar foot) for ease and might keep the splices out of the weather more. Then fish your trailer wires out the tailgate or out under the top. This will allow you to coil it up inside the cab when not in use, will keep some of the road crap off of it.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Yep, Galen, that's exactly what I meant. You want those splices inside, not in the wheelwell.

The wire for the right brake/turn light doesn't enter the left tail light, so you can't go in there. In '78 there was a white wire for both tail lights, light green with white tracer for the left brake/turn and solid light green for the right brake/turn. Good chance the same still held in '88.

To confirm that you can take a very fine needle, push it into the wire and connect your meter to it. Make your splice at the needle hole or, if you poke the wrong wire, put a little dab of liquid electrical tape on it.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Yogi_Bear

Default '88 Jeep Wrangler Wiring Diagram for Trailer Lights

Thanks guys for your response's, I found what you guys were describing it was right where you said it would be, which will make it easier than working upside down.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

I wired my 88 up for trailer lights last year. I spliced into the wires under the tub though. I have the chilton book with the wiring diagram but just used a volt meter to find the ones I needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.