amc 304 to 360 head swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Stranger

jshankcj7 is on a distinguished road
Default amc 304 to 360 head swap?

Hello I am rebuilding and modifying my 76' AMC 304. I was just wonderin if anyone would know if amc 360 heads would fit and would I need to change anything and would it add horse/torque?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

IIRC, some folks have done it for the larger valves alone, but it may also introduce the possibility for valve to block/piston contact. PM Elusive... I think his old "TJ-7" was running 360 heads on the B&B 304

You may be able to glean some info from this PDF. I used it to confirm my "new" heads were indeed for a 304...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMC Heads.pdf (6.7 KB, 6 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Old Hand

HOGHEAD is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just go with a 360 ,,, Put a old set of heads (69 or 70) I think its 53 cc heads compaired to 86 cc on newer (78to86) ,,, You have to over size the head bolt holes on the older heads & make sure you install hardened seats,, I installed a older set on a 78 once & it ran ,,,, Well good,,, run the compression from 8.6to1 to 11to1,,,, Iv got a old set of those heads ,,, But with the gas prices I havent used them yet,,,

DEATH BEFORE 2 WHEEL DRIVE ,,,
Quando omni flunkus moritati ,,,

Proud American

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate
Old 01-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

SilentBob2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't say for sure it would work, but there are a lot of options for the AMC's. I did not build the 360 I have in the scrambler but the guy I got it from must have known a few things about AMC's. I do know you can build a stroker using a 360 block and 401 crank among other things. If you do a search on the net for AMC motor build ups, you will find some good info.

Here is a couple of sights.....
Jeep Engines - The AMC V8 Engines

Here's a forum...
AMC ROCKS! :: Index

An AMC Sroker?

This one says not to waste your time with a 304..
AMC V-8 Engine - Tech Articles - Jp Magazine
I know you can find it if you look for it, I would just suck it up and build you a 360 stroker. Im positve you wouldn't regret it. From what I have seen, It should work. You could allways go to your local parts store and have them pull out a head gasket for each to compare and if they have the same part # for the gasket, well then it should work would be my geuss....
Old 01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 360 heads on my 0.060 bored 304. I only did it because my 360 block was bad and one 304 head had a crack. It runs fine but I miss the power of the 360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement