Illinois trails - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
catliketheif6

Default Illinois trails

Hey, guys. I'm new to the board and I was wondering if anybody knows any good trails near chicago. I'm not looking to go to any regulated pay trails, but instead I would like to take the rubicon to some natural, free, offroad trails, where I won't be bothered to much by the authorities. Any info would truly be appreciated.

Thanks, Josh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Welcome to the board!

Natural, free, public offroad trails? Sure. Just find a herd of unicorns and follow them.

What you're looking for is pretty rare. The closest I know of in Illinois is the Shawnee National Forest south of Carbondale, and the trails there aren't much. Next is the Mark Twain National Forest in southern Missouri.

There are commercial off road parks though; The Badlands in Attica Indiana just east of Danville, and Rockport in Pike County over toward Quincy, and another offroad park, the name escapes me, south of I80 around I39 somewhere. If you're new to offroading they're a good place to learn techniques and equipment. There's a variety of trails from easy to darn near impossible, people to help if you get in a jam, and no worries about winding up on private property and getting into a REAL jam.

There might be public trails in southern Wisconsin, but I've never heard of any. They would be a pretty small area.

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 10-09-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Veteran

OIIIIIIIO is an unknown quantity at this point

Cliff's Insane Terrain just east of Le Salle/Peru...they have a website I think...

I don't know of any public trails in southern Wisconsin...
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A
babypoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post

There might be public trails in southern Wisconsin, but I've never heard of any. They would be a pretty small area.
Free trails in Wisconsin, no that's not allowed, the only free trails in WI are up north on federal land and the only reason that's not closed is because the state government can't touch it.
John
Old 10-09-2007, 03:10 PM
catliketheif6

Default *

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I've decided to head up to the Badlands either this weekend or the following. Depending on whether or not I'm helping my buddy with his roof. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road

stick around this board and you'll find when other locals are going to some of the previously mentioned parks......

its always better, safer, more fun to wheel with others....

Old 10-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lomodyj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnGreg View Post
stick around this board and you'll find when other locals are going to some of the previously mentioned parks......

its always better, safer, more fun to wheel with others....

That's if they like you...otherwise they take you out as far as they can...and leave you there.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomodyj View Post
That's if they like you...otherwise they take you out as far as they can...and leave you there.
either way someone's bound to have a good time! it just might not be you!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Trying to scare a Newb! That's cold! Am I going to have to spank you guys?

Don't believe 'em, Thief. We have a perfect record, just like the aviation industry - they've never left an airplane up there and we've never left a Jeep out there.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
catliketheif6

Default *

Haha, It's all in good fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement