Quick fix for a bad fuel pump???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Old Hand

jeepjunky is on a distinguished road
Default Quick fix for a bad fuel pump????

Ok been thinking about this for a while... As we all know my fuel pump is going bad...lol And yes Im really not wanting to drop my tank to replace it. For a reminder, the jeep runs great, but when I go to start it I need to double crank it, or crank it for about 10-15sec before it will start. Thus it sounds like the ball check valve in the fuel pump is going bad; letting the fuel drain back to the tank.
Here is my quick and CHEAP fix: How about cutting the supply line from the tank to the engine and adding a clear fuel filter/ check valve.
This is my thoughts, if the valve is bad, then the new check valve would keep enough fuel in the line to start the jeep on the first try and the pump SHOULD keep up after the jeep is started. Also if it is the check valve, the line between the tank and the new valve could easily be checked for fuel. If the jeep dosnt start right up the first try, then the problem isnt the fuel pump. But I now have a extra filter for the fuel... Also if the pump is good and just the check valve is bad, then isnt it silly to throwout a good pump. Or is this one of those things that the check valve goes bad 1k miles before the pump compleatly dies?
What do you think??? And yes I know that I should just change the pump and be done! but if I could save $100 why not?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Old Hand

mach2_nh is on a distinguished road

Umm. I forget how Jeeps setup works but on a Chevy TBI setup when you turn the key to on it will prime for like 2 or 3 sec. And it will fill a line fast and shot out like 6'. is there some other thing it will do other then the poor start time.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Veteran

KentuckyCrawler is an unknown quantity at this point

The pump does run for about 2 seconds with the key in the on position even without starting. I know you don't want to drop the gas tank but it can be done in about 10 minutes with an impact or air rachet and a couple of extensions.

If you are worried about the cost of a new fuel pump I have one I pulled from my 2001TJ about 2 months ago when I installed my fuel cell and I will let it go very reasonably PM me if you are interestested. I works like a charm and I only have 30K on me jeep.

Also as for the check valve in the fuel line save your money because the only place you could install it is below the tank and that fuel isn't back flushing to your tank.

Brad
Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Old Hand

I am thinking between the tank dischage (after the pump) and the fuel line to the engine compartmetn. There is about 6-8" of rubber line I think that I could splice one in at.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For a reminder, the jeep runs great, but when I go to start it I need to double crank it, or crank it for about 10-15sec before it will start. Thus it sounds like the ball check valve in the fuel pump is going bad; letting the fuel drain back to the tank.
Nope it doesn't seem t be a bad check valve. The darn fuel line should be pressurized immediately.
Quote:
This is my thoughts, if the valve is bad, then the new check valve would keep enough fuel in the line to start the jeep on the first try and the pump SHOULD keep up after the jeep is started.
Yes, the valve should help to keep pressure in the line. But would it be enough to keep the engine running at idle while the pump comes up to full pressure, or would the fuel line loose pressure faster than the pump can supply (which seems to be the case).
Quote:
Also if it is the check valve, the line between the tank and the new valve could easily be checked for fuel. If the jeep dosnt start right up the first try, then the problem isnt the fuel pump.
No, not correct. It could be the fuel pump, it could be a pinhole in the fuel line, it could be the regulator, it could be the CrankshaftPostionSensor (long crank times are a classic failure sign.)
Quote:
Also if the pump is good and just the check valve is bad, then isnt it silly to throwout a good pump.
Yes, except that you don't know the fuel pump is good.
Quote:
Or is this one of those things that the check valve goes bad 1k miles before the pump compleatly dies?
I've yet to hear about an anti-drain-back valve failing.

So what can you do? Not a heck of a lot without dropping the tank. You could try a some SeaFoam but I doubt it would do any good at this point.

Pull the tank, swap out the assembly and be done with it. This problem will let you down at some time, and that's going to cost you time, money, effort, and grief. Do it right the first time, it's not an area to kludge back together.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Journeyman

towman_tim is on a distinguished road

Just a thought: but it would be alot better to be doing the new pump now instead of OCT NOV DEC JAN Gets pretty cold here!!!!! and you could plan time to do it!!!! instead of a "O ****" !!!!!

You need a hand gimmie a jingle

Tim

85 CJ-7 /258/Hei/4" lift/33"x12.50 Baja claws/4.10 gears/tera-low/ F-Det, R-Spool / Lots O Goodies

03 TJ 4" lift 33" tires more mods to go !!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Old Hand

towman, Thats been my plan all along...summer time is not the time to work on your jeep. It goes much better when you are laying in a snow drift warming your fingers with you halogen work light...lol besides the beer doesnt get warm...lol
Old 09-08-2007, 05:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish you were around here, I could get Brad down to drink some beer and Change your pump in about 1/2 hour. It is stupid simple and then we could talk about something else!!!

Really just kidding other than there are 2 types of fuel pumps ones that are working and ones that are not, it is possible that yours is not, but you need to do some testing to find out. I don't remember what yoar Jeep you hae or what engine but as long as it is not a 95 or 97 tj with a 2.5 then you have a schrader valve in the line. That would mean you could get a pressure guage for about 20.00 and do a pressure and leak down test of your system to find out if this has anything to do with your pump or do you need to look elsewhere. I would take it to a shop and pay someone to diagnose it before I threw a 300.00 pomp at it and found out it was not fixed.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Old Hand

Your wish is my command...lol No more fuel pump questions. The jeep will go to the shop next week for a diagnoses. Then the correct parts will be put in.
My whole issue is getting the wrong part and not fixing my problem just creating a empty spot in my jeep fund. lol
Again thanks for all the help, Ill post with my results
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

JJ, I hate to tell you this... but why take it to a shop and have them tell you somewhat what you already know?

For the price of that fuel pressure guage you can get the same information they'll give you and have a tool to use for the rest of your life, and save a little money. It's not hard to test the fuel pressure.

May I suggest reading: Troubleshooting Electronic Fuel Injection Problems & Fuel Pump Diagnosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement