Homemade Tube Fender Pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Veteran

KentuckyCrawler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homemade Tube Fender Pics

Here are a couple of pics of my homemade Tube fenders with inner fenders off the Jeep. I'll take a couple of pics of them on it and post also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1505.jpg (94.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1508.jpg (87.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1510.jpg (125.7 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Looking good.... tell me more about the fabrication... costs, how you did it, the paint, etc..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Veteran

Here are some pictures of the fenders on the Jeep and my new turn signals. Turn signals are from a 1948 willys truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1601.jpg (138.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1602.jpg (134.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1603.jpg (180.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1604.jpg (185.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

SilentBob2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking good !!! You just inspired me to finish mine. I have everything bent and ready, just have to weld it all together and put some sheet metal on them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Veteran

Smile

Here is the build.

20 ft of 1.25", 1/8" Wall DOM(10 ft per fender). There are 3 pieces of tube in each fender, 2 straight and 1 bent. I bent the tube at work on our $$$$$ conduit bender.

4 pieces of 3/8" x 1.5" Flat stock(1/4" would be plenty but its all I had) I messaged 2 pieces with a torch and hammer to match the contor of the grill and the other 2 piece were used at the firewall mounts. I ground about 1/8" of the side of the tub mounts to make installation esier, so they were only 3/8" x 1.375"!!!!

I bolted the mounting plates to the body and made sure the grill and hood were alligned. Then I tacked all the tube into place. I removed the fenders and welded the tube up. On the piece of tube the went straight from the tub to the grill I heated the grill end and beat it flat so I could weld it directly to the 3/8" thick grill end mount. I then drilled each mounting hole out another 1/16" overside.

Next I used 1/8" plate to make the skins and hardware mounting plate on the drivers fender. On the passenger side fender I welded the stock fuse box bracket to the inner side of the fender.

I had to modify the battery mount on the passengers side because I took the fender all the way back to the tub to open up my wheel well as much as possible.

Next I bolted them back on to re-check the fit and run them at the BASH with some make shift inner fenders.

After the bash I removed the fenders and built the inner fenders out of a combination of 1/8" plate, 1/8" x 1" flat stock and rubber sheeting. The inner fenders took as long to build as the rest of the fender.

Then I used a little filler, rattle can primer and rattle can dark blue paint from autozone to finish the fenders out. For the metal on the inner fenders I primed them, skuffed them and painted 2 coats of duplicolor truck bed liner on the inners fenders.

All in all I had
$46 in DOM
$28 in rubber sheeting
$8 in nuts and bolts
$20 paint and primer
$15 bed liner
1/8" material and 3/8" stock was all scrap!!!

Total of $117 and right at 16hrs of work in them.

Brad
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

JBTater is an unknown quantity at this point

Great work, Brad.
Are they changed from what you had at Haspin a few weeks ago, or are you just getting around to posting about them?

Lets see......
Material = $117
Labor = 16 hrs @ $1.50/hr
Total = $141.00/set.

SOLD!!!!!

On second thought, you should be able to do it faster next time, so I'm only going to give you $124.63/set.
Still a great deal for you, though.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road

those look really good!

awesome work!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I am not the greatest fabricator, but when I take my time and don't cut too many corners my projects seem to turn out pretty good.

Jim,
I am just getting around to posting up the pictures, they are the same as you saw them at Haspin.

Brad
Old 08-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

So...
When are you going to have a set made up for my CJ?....

Seriously, they look great, and you made them out of tubing that isn't going to fold up at the first bump!

Great job!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Static112

Nice work, I am planning on doing some fenders like yours on my 61 cj5. Lookin good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement