Need help building CJ frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jps4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help building CJ frame

This is for a friend that was ran off the road and was left pinned under his jeep. The jerk that pull out in front of him didn't bother to stop. The jeep was totaled and he is poor like most of us here and can't afford to buy a frame. I did some searching on the net but found very little info for building a frame from scratch. Any tips, hints, pics or links would be much appreciated. My friends leg is about healed up now and I would like to help him get his jeep back on the road.
Dave

Last edited by jps4ever; 06-30-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road

are you guys going tube frame? or just fix the stock frame?

if going tube, and he's really strapped for cash....

consider buying a used frame.....they are available farily often from people who cannibalize other jeeps for bodies and parts. and are usually really really really cheap.....much cheaper than building a tube frame, or going through the effort of repairing a frame thats been bent and twisted

dont forget to consider YJ frames if its a CJ7...

for example:

eBay Motors: jeep cj7 chassis frame spring over & 350 ready (item 270137070123 end time Jul-01-07 17:45:00 PDT)

eBay Motors: JEEP YJ WRANGLER FRAME 1987-96 (item 190126841175 end time Jul-01-07 18:02:34 PDT)

eBay Motors: Late 70's Jeep CJ5 Frame in Great Condition (item 290133909391 end time Jul-05-07 10:21:51 PDT)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

I can send the drawing with measurements from the FSM. Is it a 5 or a 7?

It's probably not possible to build a frame cheaper than buying a used one and repairing it as necessary. When I restored my Jeep the frame needed a lot of rust repair. I thought about building a whole new one, but just the steel would have cost $300, and it would have taken days and days of work. And then it wouldn't duplicate the stock frame, just be close enough to work.

He's going to need a lot of body parts too. I'm sure that he'd be way ahead buying a worn out CJ or YJ and putting his mechanicals into it.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod is an unknown quantity at this point

I would look at getting a used a frame.. and i would look for a yj frame.. much stronger than a cj.. and more plentiful in the boneyards.. also consider tj frames.. its not a lot of work to put them under a cj.. i have done both..
here is a link to the frame dimensions on my page.. out of a chiltons/haynes manual..
http://www.jeepgod.net/information/cj7frame.jpg
Old 07-01-2007, 02:15 AM

jdoggmoney is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also suggest a relacement frame, YJ if possible. But... there is more to it than simply swapping in your old CJ driveline. I just went through this... swapping my CJ driveline into a YJ frame and tub. There are several issues that will require some thought and fabrication.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Journeyman

LMAO@U is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a couple guys that cut up Suburbans, Older Blazers, Broncos, Pick-up trucks and turn them into a Jeep frames (Of course they're a little different) they weld in the body mounts, shock mounts, trim the frames and walla... Minor stuff. Getting the frame free from the body and other goodies is another story. (just a little food for thought)... if you have a good donor then that's all that is needed.

Last edited by LMAO@U; 07-01-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 PM

jps4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The jeep was a CJ5 but he has decided to build a 7. I sold him a tub and he has found a few deals on other parts needed. The frame is really the only hold up. His is trash and can't be repaired. He was thinking of building the frame because of a deal he was working on for some tubing he could pick up for cheap. I don't know how hell bent he is on building the frame but I'm sure he would rather pick up a good used one if he could find one cheap. They are a little harder to come by in our small town. We are not far from Collins Bros Jeep but their frames start at $750. We'll keep looking. Good idea building a jeep frame from a truck or something, I had never thought of that.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Veteran

spook2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps4ever View Post
The jeep was a CJ5 but he has decided to build a 7. I sold him a tub and he has found a few deals on other parts needed. The frame is really the only hold up. His is trash and can't be repaired. He was thinking of building the frame because of a deal he was working on for some tubing he could pick up for cheap. I don't know how hell bent he is on building the frame but I'm sure he would rather pick up a good used one if he could find one cheap. They are a little harder to come by in our small town. We are not far from Collins Bros Jeep but their frames start at $750. We'll keep looking. Good idea building a jeep frame from a truck or something, I had never thought of that.

Based on the price they attach to most of their parts, I'm quite sure everything Collins Bros. sells is gold plated. They must cater to the terminally wealthy and stupid because I can't imagine how they would stay in business otherwise.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

You probably want to look for a salvage frame.
Cheap, easy, tabs and holes are already where they are supposed to be, ect.

Welded frames are very heavy, and welded joints always seem to crack with time unless you reinforce the crap out of them, then the frame is that much heavier...

I've built my own frames, but I just was never satisfied with the results or the weight.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Quote:
welded joints always seem to crack with time unless you reinforce the crap out of them, then the frame is that much heavier
There's a lot more to making a good weld joint than making a good weld - the design has to be right and the weld has to be in the right place. Several years I got a small booklet with a bunch of tips about how to make a good joint. One of the things mentioned is that adding more weld in the wrong place can actually cause a failure. It's an interesting subject that I wish I understood better, but I understand it well enough to realize that a frame isn't something just anybody can make, even if they are an outstanding welder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement