an Idea for a cheap Hi Lift jack lock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Old Hand

jeepjunky is on a distinguished road
Default an Idea for a cheap Hi Lift jack lock

This came to me today. When you build (or have built) your bumpers or swing outs carriers, weld a wheel stud to bolt the jack to. Then simply buy a lug nut lock (one you need that special key for).
On the the last bumper I built I simply used a 1/2 x13 bolt welded to the swing out. My current bumper has a pair of them welded in place (same 1/2 x13) I currently use a nylock nut. It keeps the honest crooks one honest.
I know that you can break the wheel locks, but again it takes effort and the "honest" crooks MAY be detered.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JeepDawg is on a distinguished road

Not a bad idea....

But....I bet I can get that locking nut off in about 30 seconds....in fact, I removed all of the locking lug nuts off both of the jeeps.....especially after I lost the key for the wife's Cherokee..took it to the tire shop and watched the guy take them off as if he had the key.....
Link to my Frame up Restore
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Journeyman

FiveSpeedWrangler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Not a bad idea....

But....I bet I can get that locking nut off in about 30 seconds....in fact, I removed all of the locking lug nuts off both of the jeeps.....especially after I lost the key for the wife's Cherokee..took it to the tire shop and watched the guy take them off as if he had the key.....
Same here, my track toy, a 1984 Ram, has the locking lugnuts, and my dad was able to get them off in no time at all without the socket [that he lost].
33"x12.50" GoodYear Wrangler MT/R All Terrains

Last edited by FiveSpeedWrangler; 04-14-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Journeyman

n0nka is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the Gorilla locking lug nuts? They look pretty stout to me. I don't know what I'd put on one of those nuts to handle 90lbs of torque, besides the Gorilla socket. I thought my wheels were safe. Nice idea using welded studs to lock the extra gear. I hate carrying around extra keys.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

mbalbritton is an unknown quantity at this point

the thing is, You can take a pipe with an ID that of the Locking nut, Jam it of it and Snap the Wheel Stud right off. Or a 4 way works good too.

Your best bet to to do something that takes a few minutes to get thr hi-lift off. If someone wants something bad enough off your Jeep... They're gonna get it. You want to deter the paser by from 5 second hiests.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't stop the determined thief that comes prepaired. Fact of life.

You can deter or stop cold the amature or ill prepaired thief.

I hadn't thought of a wheel stud lock, but it's a pretty good idea...
Sure would stop the 'Walk By' thieves in their tracks, and it would make the amatures go back for tools...

I'm old fashoned, I just buy a package of 6 pad locks all keyed alike, and lock everything up.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Stranger

MoMsterJeep is an unknown quantity at this point

A little info on those locking lug nuts.....
All it takes is a deap 6point 1/2 drive sockect that is just slightly smaller than than the lug nut....you bang it on and then take it off....a large pair of vice grips also work.....or, they just steal your whole jeep.....

Pad locks require a bolt cutter....bolt cutters in the hands of someone who has already been to jail for burglary is now a good excuse to take them to jail again for possession of burglary tools....but sockets are not....

While I like the simplicity of the locking lug nut for the high lift....it's too easy to get off ....and it's too easy to loose the key....I've lost two of them....no more locking lug nuts for me.

Truth is, a good heavy duty pad lock is better...the real honkers can't be cut by most bolt cutters....I think the best way is to mount the high lift on the inside of your tire carrier and put the pad lock on the tire carrier....and who says you can't add a switch to the carrier and tie that to your car alarm.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Old Hand

general420 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the free gun locks that "Project Safe Neighborhood" had left over. I just ran the cable through the high-lift and around the bumper on the inside of the frame. Like stated above, a bolt cutter will get it off, but then again, almost any lock is cut-able and the price was right.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Novice

Etcherman is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a 1/2" bolt and ground down the end flat and driled a hole through it and attached a small pad lock. When you grind down the end of the bolt leave some threads so you can install a bolt to keep the jack in place. No mater what you do given time any one can get your goods the idea is to slow them down.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, like I and others have stated, if they REALLY WANT IT they are going to get it no matter what you do...

I put locks on to keep the impulse theives from walking off with stuff.
BTW, there is no such thing as an 'Honest Thief'...
You either are a thief, or you are not. No gray area, no 'wiggle' room...

Same with painting your trail tools...
Keeps the guys you just busted a gut helping on the trail from walking away with your tools after the job is done...
I used to paint everything gold, but I'm going with bright yellow this time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement