Weber Carb..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
YJ RJ

Default Weber Carb.....

I know this has been cussed and discussed a number of times....but I want to weigh in in hopes of saving others months of frustration and a bunch of money.

Short history. Bought a '89 YJ a year ago with 89K miles. Thing ran horrible. Typical Jeep complaint. Sputtering, very hard starts, died at idle, ran flooded all the time etc. etc. At one time it backfired so severely that it blew the fairly new muffler apart like it had an M-80 in it.

Rebuilt the carb and things improved a bit. But then it would relapse. Took it to a mechaniich who did his best and tried to not spend all my money. We messed with electric choke for awhile then abondoned it and ran a manual rod. Found a kinked fuel line. Helped a little.

I sprayed the hell out of the carb with cleaner which would work for awhile.

In short I never really solved anything and just kept dicking around to no result.

I finallly bought a K551 Weber carb with the adaptor for $299 on ebay. Real deal Weber...not a knock off.

Converting this thing was a little more than I wanted to bite off knowing that if I had the thing half done dead in the garage my wife would show no mercy in her good natured hazing of me. So, I took back to the mechanic and he installed the new carb and repalced myh muffler for $200 total.

The thing runs like a DREAM!

It practically roars to life if you so much as touch the key. Runs perfectly smooth and idles at about 8K with zero sputter etc.

As a side beneift the carb has it's own air breather and filter on the top with a washable filter. The whole thing takes up about as much space as a six pack of beer. I got rid of all the vaccuum hoses and crap and can now get at the rest of the motor much easier.

So...the moral of the story? If your jeep is running sick and still has that old junky Carter carb...just bite the bullet up front...buy the Weber and your troubles will be over. I wish I had done this a year ago.

RJ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Saddle Tramp is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ RJ View Post
So...the moral of the story? If your jeep is running sick and still has that old junky Carter carb...just bite the bullet up front...buy the Weber and your troubles will be over. I wish I had done this a year ago.

RJ

Well there are always two sides to every story. Glad that all worked out for you with your Weber but I bought a Weber that was defective. The box said “NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER”. Weber did try and fix it after I spent an additional $20 to ship it back to them but when they could not they just told me “sorry”. In fact, one of the things that was wrong with it was that the butterfly valve was stuck in the closed position and the guy told me all he did was smack it with a screwdriver to make it open. Not the way I treat a fine tuned piece of equipment. I eventually had to walk away from my money.

Weber should have given me a new unit but they refused stating their warranty, or lack there of. They cost me $420 and didn’t care. Had I known when I placed the order that there would be no warranty I would never have purchased it in the first place. I’m I still soar? Yes, but wouldn’t you be if you gave someone $400 for something that never worked?

Kriss

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly, this is not the first Weber I've heard of with throttle plate issues , even had a few new ones show up with the same problem . They are built in Spain now for the most part , sometimes during shipping I'm sure they get knocked around and the throttle valve gets jammed into the throat wall . It's easy enough to repair and realign the throttle blade if you know what you're doing . The "rap it with a hammer or screwdriver" trick does not work and can actually cause further and irrepairable damage . I've actually had to do this in a few extreme cases where time and location would not permit a proper repair , but that is no excuse for a shop .

Hate to rant but I'm sick of dealing with their tech problems and doing their warranty work here ...
Sarge
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Saddle Tramp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Sadly, this is not the first Weber I've heard of with throttle plate issues , even had a few new ones show up with the same problem . They are built in Spain now for the most part , sometimes during shipping I'm sure they get knocked around and the throttle valve gets jammed into the throat wall . It's easy enough to repair and realign the throttle blade if you know what you're doing . The "rap it with a hammer or screwdriver" trick does not work and can actually cause further and irrepairable damage . I've actually had to do this in a few extreme cases where time and location would not permit a proper repair , but that is no excuse for a shop .

Hate to rant but I'm sick of dealing with their tech problems and doing their warranty work here ...
Sarge

Thanks Sarge for your insight. All the praises for the Weber carb seemed to make my troubles unbelievable. I know that I shouldn’t be bitter forever over this issue but when I read a post praising the product I feel compelled to at least warn my fellow jeepers that what is touted as the holy grail of carburetors in some cases may not be answer to their prayers and could cost them some hard earned dollars. If Weber is going to offer, (quote) “NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER” (unquote), as it said on my box it should also be noted by the purveyor at the point of purchase BEFORE you lay your money down. Then you can make your decision and live with it good or bad. Caveat Emptier!

Kriss
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Journeyman

adasilva76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hey sarge...

You got my weber running well enough on my samurai,
but thats long gone.

Just picked up an 88 wrangler and was wondering about the weber swap.
The carter is running really well, should I wait for it to go, or will the difference in performance merit a replacement before failure.

And does it really improve gas mileage and increase power?

Alex
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The only way a Weber can improve gas mileage is if you spend the time to properly jet it for the engine . These are really not designed to be a "plug and play" carb , despite the sales claims from vendors . Yes, they work out of the box but will work much better if you take the time to research and actually tune it correctly . Most Weber owners will never know what they have is capable of producing extremely even power, good fuel economy and driveability that will rival efi systems .

That said , I'd like to know what vendor failed to honor a warranty issue like that , I do have the power to do something about it .
Sarge
Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

beee240 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my old Carter torn apart every weekend on my old 88 YJ with the 258. I put a Weber 32/36 on it and it breathed a new life into the engine. After replacing my timing chain and getting the carb adjusted to my liking, I couldn't believe that I was driving the same Jeep. Smooth idle, quick startups, and that thing would actually get up and go when I floored it.
I miss the sound of it too.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Journeyman

adasilva76 is an unknown quantity at this point

sarge,

I will be sure to send it to you with engine specs when and if I do the swap. I got a lead on a used weber for 150.00. How much would you charge to check it out and set it up?

Alex
Old 03-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just depends on the carb's condition. I did finally get the throttle shaft bearing mod finished, so units with shaft wear can be saved now too.
Sarge
Old 03-30-2007, 10:18 AM
MonsLeo

Default Good experience with Weber!!!

My buddies and i put a weber 34/34 on to my 84 CJ 7, I6, the old Carter was very tired (very Tired) now she is idleing smooth good exceleration over all i think it is a great choice, pretty much worked out of the box for me!!!

I have read many posts here and else were that recommend a fuel regulator so i added one to my system.

Sarge in your opinion is this a good idea and do you have any tips for fine tunning it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement