Is the 304 in a CJ and a scout II compatible? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 02:05 AM
duck

Default Is the 304 in a CJ and a scout II compatible?

Is a 304 out of a '78 int. scout the same as the 304 in a '79 CJ-7? What, if any differences exist between the two?

I am asking because I just purchased the CJ which has a bad 304 in it. The current engine would probably need bored out, so it's not worth the expense to rebuild.

The donor 304 would come out of a '78 scout II with 98k miles on it. I also have access to a 360 which was running when parked(w/89k miles), but would surely need gaskets replaced. Or a freshly rebuilt 258, but I'd assume it would require other work considering its a totally different engine than I have now.

I am somewhat new to jeeps, so any advice would be appreciated.

Its got a auto tranny, holley carbs and quad-trac if that matters(sorry no engine pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1555436-jeep002.jpg (233.4 KB, 16 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 AM
Veteran

bandhmo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the 304 in a CJ and a scout II compatible?

IN short NO!! The AMC/Jeep and International 304's are completely different internally and externally. A International 304 would be a very expansive and poor choice for an engine. For your information International used a 232 and 258 that where basically AMC 232 and 258's but used different blocks with different external bolt patterns. This has lead many to assume that the International and AMC 304 is the same internally IT IS NOT.

Provided the 258 you mention is an AMC/Jeep 258, it should bolt in with only a change of driver side motor mount. Be aware that you will need a 258 flex plate as AMC engines are externally balanced. Also will want a torque converter matched to the 258 for good proformance and mileage.

Of the engines you mention the 360 would be the best choice, Provided it is a AMC 360 and not a Dodge 360 (Completely different engine). It should bolt in directly needing only a Flex plate balanced for a 360 and may need a different Torque converter for best performance and mileage.

If you plan to stay carberated they An AMC 304, 360 of 401 will be the best bang for you buck. If you want fuel injection then it would be best to swap in a fuel injected AMC 4.0, Chevy 305, 350, Ford 302, 351, or Dodge 318, 360.

For your information the Holly carb is not stock, the stock carb would be a 2 barrel motor craft (MC)2100 with 1.08" venturys. The stock Auto trany is a TH 400 this is internally similar to the Chevy TH 400 but with AMC input and output bolt patterns.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

DITTO!
Could have said it better my self!

No parts interchange between the IH and Jeep engines, nor will the engines interchange.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

I believe that the ANC 304, 360 and 401 are interchangeable as far as bolt patterns. The difference probably lies in the compression ratio, camshaft, valves and so on. I would expect that the 304 would have similar variations since those were the years that they were making lots of changes for emission control.

Check back - someone with more knowledge of the V8s will probably provide a better answer.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast

Saddle Tramp is an unknown quantity at this point

All AMC V8s and AMC 232, 258, & 4.0 I6s have the same bell housing bolt pattern at the back of the block and are interchangeable. The motors are externally balanced so you need to use the right flywheel/flex plate for the displacement of the motor. (ie- an AMC 360 flywheel will not work on an AMC 401) You do have to move a motor mount to go from the I6 to V8 and vice versa.

Donít pass on every International you come to when searching for a motor as the 72 (I am not sure how many years on either side of that number it was available) International 400 that is found in the Travelall is really an AMC 401 with the proper Jeep bolt pattern. Remember to look under the exhaust manifold as the displacement is always cast into the side of the block.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.