Female Connector Corrosion & How To Remove? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Female Connector Corrosion & How To Remove?

I'm having a problem with the female connectors on my ignition system...
CORROSION! Thick, green, nasty copper corrosion!

The male parts are pretty easy to clean, just scrape them off, but the female parts are a bigger challenge...

Anyone know a reliable way to clean the corrosion out of these connectors with out having to replace them?

Taking any and all ideas! Here is your chance!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Female Connector Corrosion & How To Remove?

How about making up a slurry of baking soda and water and pouring it onto/into the plug and contacts. Then flush with water or Carb Cleaner (test it on the plastic before you commit to this!). Then I'd use a dental pick to get into the contacts and burnish them. This may not work.

However, IMHO, the best way is to pull apart the plug and contacts. Then you can physically examine the contacts and clean them. That may mean partial destruction of a molded plug. When I do that I have to rebuild the remains using Shoe Goo, or RTV, and some cardboard and tape.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

ecamp55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Peroxide and Pipe Cleaners should remove the goo
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Veteran

John_Strenk is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
Cleaning Native Copper
Submitted by Herb Sulsky (FGMS Member)
Lithosphere (May 1993); Fallbrook Gem and Mineral Society, Inc.; Fallbrook, CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many specimens of native copper are obscured by black or green surface coatings which hide the beauty of the mineral. Black coatings on copper are cupric oxide -- tenorite to you mineralogists. Green coatings are generally combinations of copper sulfate (brochantite) and copper chloride (atacamite). On statues and pre-Columbian art, the green coating is termed patina and is generally regarded as a very desirable indicator of authenticity. On mineral specimens, the coating is generally regarded as offensive and most collectors want it off.

A number of techniques have been developed for cleaning copper. Some work better than others. Most involve the use of caustic solutions; so be careful. Work in a well-ventilated area, preferably outdoors.

At any rate, here is a short compendium of copper cleaning techniques ...

Make a paste using flour, salt, and vinegar. Brush it on, let it sit a while, then rinse it off. The acetic acid in the vinegar causes the tarnish to slowly dissolve. Stubborn coatings may require more than one application.

Another method of cleaning copper has been sucessfully used in at least one major museum. In a sealable glass container, mix one part caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) with three parts rochelle salt (sodium potassium tartrate). To this add 20 parts of distilled water and carefully stir until the chemicals are dissolved. Suspend the copper specimen in the solution with copper wire.

Some folk remedies for cleaning copper include scrubbing with buttermilk, using an ammonia/soapsud mixture, or (believe it or not) Toni permanent-wave solution without the neutralizer. Other folk remedies use catsup, olive oil, or baking soda with ammonia.

Some have used more drastic measures to clean copper. Most of these involve the use of very strong acids or potassium cyanide; however, these methods have been known to cause undesirable color changes in the copper (or you if you're not careful) and won't be detailed here.

Whatever method you use, be sure to throroughly rinse the specimen after cleaning and remember to dispose of all solutions safely. And once cleaned, consider protecting the freshly cleaned copper surface with lacquer to prevent further tarnishing.

[Ed. Note: If Toni cleans the corrosion off of copper, just imagine what it does to your hair!]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Polish with Bar Keepers Friend and fine steel wool. Use plenty of elbow grease. Keep the kettles extra bright by washing well with soap and water after polishing.

Dip half a lemon in kosher salt and rub well. Then polish with a soft cloth and beeswax for a deep, lasting copper shine.

Table salt and vinegar remove oxidation from copper.

To clean a copper kettle or boiler, you need to remove soap scum and hard water deposits as well as oxidation. Although a lightly oxidized copper piece can be cleaned with salt and lemon or vinegar, steel wool or a buffing wheel are required for heavy-duty copper cleaning.

Once your piece has a good shine, spray with a brightening product to maintain the clean, bright finish. Dust occasionally and wipe down with a cold, damp cloth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually tons of stuff with a google search.

Unfortunatly the zinc coaring is compramized and it will keep on corroding. After I get my connections clean, using copper brush, I use a lot of di-electric compound to keep it clean. But you know that already.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cleaning copper artifacts or even the male terminals is one thing, but getting into a molded plug and cleaning female contacts is a pretty specialized application.

I want to keep the plugs, they are in perfect shape other than the corrosion, and the distributor plug is nearly impossible to find...

I think the last guy used something that caused this because it's very localized.

I can guarantee this WILL NOT happen again!
I've got the industrial size dielectric grease tube and I'm not afraid to use it!
I can tell you now there will be grease oozing out of every open orifice in those connectors (and every other connector I can find) when I get done with this thing!

Anyway, keep the ideas rolling in, I'll see what works and what doesn't...
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

jeeperjohn is on a distinguished road

Maybe careful use of a points file?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM
bubbarat

CRC makes a product SP-400 Extreme duty corrosion inhibitor. You can probably find it at a Industrial bearing supplier. Put dialect grease heavily in the plug. After connecting spray the outside very heavily about 2-4 coats with the SP-400. This works wonders with any corrosion problems. Battery cables and posts never corrode with it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

UPDATE,
Baking soda sloution/paste did nothing and is hard as all get out to get out!

The canned contact cleaner didn't do squat, but I couldn't find the industral stuff locally, I have it on order.

Peroxide and pipe cleaners didn't do squat.

Dental pick did remove the worst off the raised parts of the contacts, but can't reach the 'Hard Spots' and is a slow, tedious and time consuming sport...
Not to mention it's real cold on the hands here.

If this thing continues to give me problems, It's getting a new harness instead of just new plugs!
I have the harnesses and it's actually easier to change the entire harness...

Anyone got any other ideas?...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Veteran

Timber is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I don't know what would be the perfect "solution" but, I know sometimes for fun with an old corroded copper penny?
I'd soak it in a little Tabasco sauce, or maybe some Coca-cola.

Neither one of these idea, might work, in your situation? But...if the Tabasco sauce worked? You'd have one "hot" connection! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If the Coke worked, you could end up with the "Real Thing!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img]

Forgive me it's late, and I've got to get to bed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep2.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Veteran

John_Strenk is an unknown quantity at this point

What are those infomertials that sow a lady cleaning pans by dipping them in some solution? Maybe those would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.