What does a bad lifter sound like? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does a bad lifter sound like?

I am getting a strange noise from my jeep, and I am pretty sure it is coming from the engine.
The motor I have in my Jeep is a 350. It has hydro lifters in it, and I am wondering if maybe one is bad? The engine only has 1700 miles on it at this point.
The noise I am getting only happens some times. The rest of the time the engine runs like a dream.
I think I would describe the noise as a "clatter" (it kind of sounds the same as when my last jeep had a cracked flex plate) (this Jeep is a standard, so it has no flex plate)

I get the sound, only when the RPM's in the engine are low, and the jeep is under hard accelerate.
So, say I am in 1st gear, and I shift into second, and apply a heavy throttle... I get a clatter for a bit. If I let off a little the clater will go away. And once the RPM's come back up a little, the clatter goes away.
The only other time I hear it is if I am in 4th gear, and I am going up a long hill.. If I apply more throttle, sometimes I will get the same caltter. Basically when the throttle (carb butterfly) is open more than needed for the given Motor RPM (under very low manafold vac) I seem to get this clatter.

I am hopefully going to get a local motor builder to go for a rid with me some time this week, or next. I would just like to be clued in a little before I talk to him about this.

Does this sound like maybe a bad lifter to anyone? Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for any help, I know that sounds are hard to diagnose in this manner, I figure I would try.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What does a bad lifter sound like?

Sounds like timing knock to me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Taz,
Thank you for the quick response.
I must admit that I have never heard of timing knock before. Can someone explain what it is? And how to go about fixing it?

It would make perfect sence if this was a timing issue. I had to replace the dist. about a month ago. I thought I had everything timed back in correctly but it seems like maybe I don't.

If what I am experencing is timing knock, how would I go about getting rid of it? I hope that I am not doing any damage to the engine in any way..

Thank you
Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Addict

tincan is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Taz, knock can ruin any motor... so do not hit the throttle hard until you fix the problem...
Retard the spark.
Depending on what changes you have in the motor. You may have a knock sensor that is not working or not connected. Changing the distributor you may have the wrong spark advance curve.
I suggest you have the engine set up by some one who is qualified to check all of the above. A SUN Test meter is needed to do the complete check.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Timber is an unknown quantity at this point

You're getting too much spark advance, from the distributor, at the wrong time, for the engine. You're probably getting to much total advance.

Your distributor needs to be tuned to your engine's needs.

I'm sure someone here can explain this better to you than me. It's not that complicated, or hard to do, most of the time. But someone who's very experienced at it, could explain it better.

Maybe someone will give you a link that explains how to correct it.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

Timing knock --- also known as "Ping."

Sounds like a bunch of marbles flying around.

Try something - remove distrubutor cap - note which way the rotor turns when you bump the starter.
Replace cap
move the distributor a little in the SAME direction the rotor turns.
Drive it - helps?
Keep doing that till it doesn't ping.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

The first thing you do is to trot down to your local autoparts store and buy a mechanics stethoscope for about $7. Then listen for where that noise is coming from, and under what repeatable circumstances. Otherwise <ul type="square">[*]your whistling in the wind..[*]it could be this...[*]it could be that...[*]it may be thus and so.[/list]You say the noise is only understandable at low RPM and under load. That's a clue, but it may also be noticeable using a stethoscope when the engine is not under load.

IMHO... more information is needed to determine the problem and it's fix.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

New distributor (discount store rebuilt?) -
Betcha -
1. intial timing too high
2. too much advance due to:
A. Wrong vacuum
B. Mechanical advance too fast/too much (light springs)
C. Vacuum advance diaphram moves to far.

An advance timing light would be very helpful.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds to me like what I have going on is Timing knock.
It sounds Exactly like a bunch of Marbles flying around.
My engine does not have a knock sensor, there is no computer.

I do have a stethoscope, and I have listend just about everywere I can think to listen with the jeep sitting in the driveway running. Nothing sounds funny until the engine is under a load.

I did replace the Dist with a rebuilt from a parts store.
There is a very good chance that my inital timeing is too high. This afternoon after work I will try turning the dist a little, and give it a drive. Hopefully that will do what I need, and eliminate the knock. I have never recurved a Dist before. It seems to be a confusing task from what I have read. If it comes down to that, I may need to seek help from a pro.

Hopefully all I need is a little turn of the dist.
thanks again for the help
Old 08-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I do have an advance timing light, but I have never used the "advance" before. I have only used it for setting inital timing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement