Power inverter ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power inverter ?

I need a power inverter that will run my ele sawsall. I think a 750 watt will suffice. My real question is what is the duty cycle on one of these and would I be better off with a small generator?

I can get a 1000 wat generator around here for around 300. the inverter will run about 100 and I have to run the truck to use it. The generator uses much less fuel than the 6.2l
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Power inverter ?

you could just buy a nice underhood welder, most come with 120v outlets that work great for stuff like this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Old Hand

mav750 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got a 750 watt inverter, and it doesnt like the sawzall very much. It stalls pretty easily.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

A 750 Watt inverter will be marginal for a big Sawzall. 750 Watts is only 6.25 amps at 120 volts. I got a 2000 Watt inverter at Harbor Freight for $150.00, and it runs my big Sawzall and SDS Max hammer drill without a whimper. For small jobs it can run off the battery without running the engine. About 15 minutes hard work with an angle grinder runs the battery down enough to turn on the alarm.

For big jobs a generator is the way to go, but for little stuff, the inverter is SO much more convenient - flip the switch and plug the tool in. No gasoline, no oil changes, no tuneups, no pull starter . . .

An inverter uses a lot of current from the battery. A tool that uses 5 amps at 120 volts will be drawing 50 amps out of the battery, plus loss in the inverter. That means that the wiring to the inverter must be BIG. I wired the 2KW inverter with 0-gauge welding cable and a 300 amp fuse.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Addict

tincan is an unknown quantity at this point

Generator HANDS DOWN.... The generator is portable allowing you to take it anyware. Uses less fuel. Great for extended power outages.

Double check you amp draw, 1000 watts is mighty small on amps. Divided the watts by volts needed to find amp output. I do a lot of on site work with a generator and use a table saw, sawsall, radial, etc. My needs are 10-20 amps, buy more than you think you need since start up on a electrial tool has a surge factor that can reach double running amps.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going along with the crowd on this one.

I have a home in Florida where the storms have taken the power out more times than I can count, and every time the grid is down is when you need to do clean up repairs...
I started out with gas powered tools. Bad idea.
Way expensive and hard to keep all those 2 cycle engines running.
Went with electric and a big azz generator.
Most good size gen-sets have 110v and 220v outputs so you aren't stuck on the tools you can use.

Inverter is mostly an 'Emergency' or 'Convience' thing.
Very short duration work cycle with plenty of expense.

If you intend to do real work, get a generator.
By the time you supply enough battery, cooling capacity, heavy gauge cable, ect. to run an inverter for very long you have paid for a generator with out the benefits...

Besides, if you have more than one person working, with a generator you can have more than one tool going at the same time...
This is a big deal if you take both electric and air tools along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement