Pertronix Electronic Ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Novice

snatch1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pertronix Electronic Ignition

What are the pros and cons for running these things?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pertronix Electronic Ignition

+++ Cheap, simple, no more points to burn or adjust, less dwell variation between cylinders, can be converted back to points in minutes - just in case.

--- About the same output as points, so no real performance gain, not so easy to find parts. A slight gain in performance can be achieved by using their super coil and eliminating the normal ignition resister.

The literature sounds great - but remember - paper doesn't reject ink!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, Pertronix has some real problems...
Modules going out for one.
I haven't been to a Super Chevy or Good Guys show in quite a while that we haven't had to help out someone with Flame Thrower system that quit working.
Usually I convert the system over to magnetic trigger and use a GM HEI module...

You didn't specify what you were thinking about putting this thing on, but at least you filled out your BIO!

" 72' CJ-5 304 "

You have a couple of options that are better than the Pertronix route...
If your distributor is '72 vintage, it's probably time for a remanufactured unit anyway...

Probably the easiest one is using a magnetic pickup distributor from a '78 to '90 AMC V-8.
This is the Ford style Motorcraft distributor with an excellent pick up, good vacuum advance, easy to adjust centrifugal advance, and you can do the 'TeamRush' cap and rotor upgrade right off the shelf.
Reliability is the big issue, and all the parts for this distributor come off the shelf at any discount auto parts store if you have problems.
This is VERY easy...
Get a reman distributor (around $80) and replace yours with the reman.
Use this upgrade write up to get the correct parts...
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/jeep02.html
Click on the 'Basic Upgrade' heading and you will find what you need for cap & rotor...

You will need to add an electronic ignition module, but that really isn't a problem, check out the links below...

The second best choice is to refit your points with a magnetic trigger...
(This is good for people trying to keep a stock appearance, like in show vehicles)
Here is a link to my web page outlining that particular upgrade...
You don't have to add any proprietary parts, but I did in the upgrade,
The adjustable phasing rotor cap adaptor are both MSD proprietary.
The Cap is an off the shelf premium Ford cap...
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/jeep/cj502.html
Here is the advanced version...
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/jeep/cj503.html

The conversion is a very cheap way to go electronic, you are only into it for about $20 for the mag trigger and reluctor, and about $20 for a GM HEI module.
You will need to wire it your self (per the diagrams shown in the links above)
Old 06-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Way Outta Control

""""Usually I convert the system over to magnetic trigger and use a GM HEI module...""""

????????????????????????
Old 06-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Pertronix trigger and module are integrated.
Makes it real hard to use the Pertronix trigger for anything else.

Pertronix is now using some LED triggers like Mallory Unilite used to.
(They were a bad idea when Mallory used them!)

When I'm contracted to do the work, I scrap the Pertronix distributor hardware completely.
It's a real good idea, but poorly excuted.
The module is the weak spot...
Flying magnet trigger would be a better idea, and the switching module needs to be much heavier duty cycle...
-------------------

This is the same way I've been doing it for 25 years to upgrade from points to electronic ignition.

If you go back to the posts from '98 or '99 and you will see references to this very thing on my CJ-7 with an SBC. Real fire wall clearance problems!

There is nothing special about it, no proprietary parts needed, and it works just as good as the GM HEI distributor with out the problems of the 'Coil In Cap' design...

I use a Chrysler magnetic trigger simply because it's the easiest RELIABLE mag trigger to fit into a Delco points type distributor...
(You can use a Ford style trigger, but you will need a custom machined reluctor...)

I normally use an early 4 pin GM HEI module mounted under the distributor head.

In a Chevy engine (the most popular street rod engine) the distributor is in the back, so the module isn't seen.
This upgrade made for easy upgrades to electronic ignition before there were 40 dozen high dollar choices.
--------------------------

Most of the time I tried to talk users into using a MSD 'Cap-A-Dapt' system to provide a rotor that spark won't blow through or around and a large distributor cap diameter.
This system would even fit in tight fire wall applications where the grossly oversized GM HEI wouldn't, and this upgrade didn't introduce the problems a GM HEI distributor has.
Keeps the module out of the distributor,
Gets air circulation to the module,
Uses a mag trigger that is reliable,
Uses the large Ford type cap with improved terminal spacing,
Uses the later model HEI type spark plug wires,

Draw backs are,
Proprietary rotor. You really should purchase a second rotor or rotor rebuild kit and keep it in the vehicle...
They aren't expensive, but most small town or discount auto parts stores don't stock the rotors or rebuild kits.
-----------------------

If they were of the performance bend, I tried to steer them toward a MSD Capacitive Discharge module to really boost the spark energy.
MSD modules aren't recommended unless you do the Cap-A-Dapt upgrade so you actually have the large cap.
MSD makes so much more spark energy that a small distributor cap would leak badly internally!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I put a Pertronix in my 1970 Jag. Love it. Simple to install, no mods to the distributor, reasonable cost, and I carry my points with me if it craps out. Couldn't be easier. The British car circles seem to really like them. Maintains original appearance for those guys who do the car show circuit, and can't have anything that doesn't look 'correct'.

Just my $0.02
Pete
Old 06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Mud in my Veins

Lets see, Jag had Lucas electronics...
A kid on the fender with a flint and steel would be an improvement!

Q. Why do Brits walk a lot and drink warm beer?

A. Because they have Lucas electrical components in both the cars and refrigerators.
--------------------------------

I did a couple of custom Jag ignitions a while back.
Strange looking things for those 12 cylinder engines!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Motto of the Lucas Electric Works: "A good day's work and 'ome before dark!"

Strange fact: I had two MGBs in the mid-sixties when four friends also had them. I did most of the maintenance on them, and don't remember a failure due to electrical components. The #1 "problem" was dry dashpots. Only common failure item was the transmission - synchros, I think.

The ONLY stranding due to a car problem was the guy who didn't grease his knockoff hubs and so couldn't get the wheel off when the tire picked up a nail. He had it towed to his house where I split the hub open with a gas ax.

Darn reliable cars for the time - the full equal of the domestics of the era.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Way Outta Control

The Brits don't make TV sets either. They never could figure how to make them leak oil!

Wooden cowls and bracing don't make good grounding points. But they don't rust! Just keep them away from termites.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

The Lucas Theory Of Electronics:

A theory has recently been postulated asserting the great importance of smoke to the functioning of electrical components. According to this theory, it is smoke that makes components work because every time you let the smoke out of a component, it stops working. It seems the claim has been verified through extensive field testing.

As with many great discoveries, this one had eluded the great minds of our time by its very simplicity. Of course smoke makes all things electrical work! Remember the last time the smoke escaped from your 400 Hz static converter? Didn't it quit working? On a system level, an aircraft wiring harness carries smoke from one device to another, and when the harness springs a leak, it lets the smoke out of everything all at once and then nothing works. Some aircraft systems (H.F., INS., Radar) require larger quantities of smoke to operate properly; that's why the wires going to them are so big.

Expanding this hypothesis to the automobile industry, why are Lucas electric systems more likely to leak smoke than, say. Bosch or Delco? Aha! Lucas is British. Things British always leak! British convertible tops leak water. British engines leak oil. British shock absorbers leak fluid. Naturally, British electronics leak smoke.

Of course, there are aspects of the theory that require further investigation. For example, one would think that persons who smoke cigarettes would be much more healthy from ingesting all that smoke. Experimental data seems to contradict that hypothesis. Perhaps smokers are actually exhaling more smoke than the inhale……
Sponsored Links
Advertisement