O/T Tomatoes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T Tomatoes

OK, I've tried growing plants from seed...

One of my most favorites is the "Brandy Wine", but I'm not going there this year.

Buying plants... But maybe not giving them enough room, often done that.

So what I'm saying here is that I have messed up more Tomato Plants than anyone giving even half a thought to it would mess with.

But I so love tomatoes... Eating them anyway... Growing them seems to just piss me off sometimes.

I'm absolutely sure there is no place in the world that you can grow better tomatoes than someplace in Indiana.

Put a few plants in the ground today....

Who's a tomato grower?

Upalittle likely already has blooms and little maters. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T Tomatoes

"I've tried growing plants from seed"

I am not touching that with a 10 foot pole!

Ya, Tom with my pathetic limited ability when should I put my plants out? We always did it after Mothers day and didn't wory about them anymore, but we had alot of years where they didn't turn squat.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Official Curmudgeon

OK, I'm no farmer so I need to start with a disclaimer. This is information that I have heard and am not certain of it being totally valid.

As I understand it:

All tomatoes here have been hybrids for years.

Most seeds from hybrids will not produce.

Those that do, do not produce the same tomato that the seed came from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Keep them away from the corner of your yard that you pour your ATF/Coolant/Oil into.

Took me forever to figure that one out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

We don't get enough sun in the yard to really grow tomatoes. Last year The Lovely Jeep Wife got one of theseTomato Success Kits from Gardeners Supply. Big, Juicy, Flavorfull, Tomatoes. Pick your favorite plant from your local store plant it and they grow. TLJW likes green tomotoes and they came out in abundance...couln't eat them fast enough so I got nice red tomatoes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Old Hand

Buy the plants from the store. At least you know they will grow. A little bit bigger is ideal, even though they cost a bit more.

Then you need some potting soil. Dig a hole deeper that the base of your plant. Break off a few of the bottom branches. Then place the plant in the hole, and potting soil over the level of the broken off branches. I've been told this will cause the plant to grow roots where the braches once were. Never tried it that way, but this year i'm giving it a shot.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We have a 10' x 10' patch in the back yard for veggies....we usually do tomattoes, zukinni...bell pepper...spinich....brussel sprouts...beans....

We always buy the tomatoe plants from the store...but we stagger them into two batches about 1 month apart.....that gives us a longer harvest....we always wait until they are red on the vine...and then pick....much more meaty....this also gives the best salsa.....

Avoid chemicals.....spiders are good....if you need to spray....soap and water...
If you have problems with rodents....a dog works best.....or, at least mine keeps them out.

We are no tree huggers....but we love going outside and picking dinner.....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:38 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I don't plant tomatoes until about May 10. This year it will probably be May 6 or May 7, because I'm off work those days and if it looks like no frost I'll plant. I plant mostly Better Boy tomatoes and set them about 4' apart. I make a hole with a trowel and pour in about a pint of Miracle Grow mixture, then plant the tomatoe as deep as possible. Pull off the suckers (bottom leaves of the plant) and get as much stem in the ground as possible. As the ground warms up, they should take root and make strong plants. When they get up 12-14" I put cages around mine, but you can also stake them. That's all I do with mine other than keep them well-watered.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Addict

I prefer Hooters Tomatoes, nice, easy to peal, firm, and generally very eye appealing. Just shop at the correct garden store for this natural type of tomatoe.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Stranger

Tomatoes!!! Now your talking my language.
What we do here in SC on the Tomatoe farm:
First you have to make sure you have a rich soil to grow in. If you need to add store bought soil to get that then do it.
Plant the seeds about 1/2 inch in ground then water the hech out of them. You can add a plant food to help grow and make sure to spray them as they grow to keep bugs off.
Our farm supplys 80% of all the tomatoes that Heinz uses in their products and that is how we do it.

It also helps to say a lot of prayers for rain.
Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode