Shifting into 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 PM
ajp2116

Default Shifting into 4x4

This may sound stupid but, whenever I try to shift my Jeep into 4 wheel drive Low, I cannot. It's usually in 2 wheel drive and it'll go into High but won't shift into Neutral or Low. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I just aquired this jeep about a month ago and winter is coming soon and around here, in Michigan, Low is a must have to even get out of the drive way. Thanks for anyone's help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Addict

tincan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shifting into 4x4

Have you tried putting the trans in neutral, then put it into low range 4WD...some times with mine when I do this it will resist going,,,taking my foot of the brake solved that problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Old Hand

HOGHEAD is an unknown quantity at this point

My old Cj you had to put it in Reverse & pop the clutch out & it would go in ,,, But it had 200K on it ,,,Iv been told,Its a good thing to shift it in 4wheel drive aleast once a week...
Old 11-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Addict

84_CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to occassionally "double clutch" to get mine in and out of my old CJ. Put it in neutral before you shift, and as you let out the clutch push it in to 4WD. I'm not sure why this helps - maybe just age. I agree with HOGHEAD about putting it into 4WD regularly.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

When my Jeep still had the 231 I used to have the same issue. It took a LOT of effort to get the lever into low. I used to use my knee to push it over, and then pull back with both hands.
What helps is, always make sure the case is full of lube.
Before you go into 4lo drive for a min or two in 4 hi. This will sling oil/lube all over.
Then put the transmission in N, and try and park somewhere that is on a slight incline.
Try and shift to low. IF it just doesn't want to go, then take your foot off the break and let the jeep roll just a bit (while at the same time pulling on the lever) This will usally help the syncros to match up, and will allow the shift fork to move.

Have you lifed your jeep, or moved the trans/x fer case at all. If so, you may be binding on the tub.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point

This may sound like a stupid answer, but you 'do' know that you need to push the lever to the RIGHT in order to access Neutral and 4W Low, right? And not just pull straight back? Sometimes the knob gets changed out, and you don't know what the real pattern is, etc.

I know my buddy had bought a 94 that was never off-road, and getting the lever to even GO to the right, to access 4Low was not easy. I don't think it had ever been there. :|

Other than that, yes, let it roll a little with the tranny in neutral while you're trying to shift into 4 low is a good idea.

Good luck
Pete
Old 11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to help you when we have no idea what rig it is, what tranny, what t-case etc - or whether automatic or stick.
And how are you trying to do it now?
Engine off, rolling, at speed etc.

If it's a TJ - often times it helps to get under and spray the shifter with brake cleaner, then spray with liquid graphite. It may just be rusty or dirty.

If automatic it often has to have the engine shut off and wait a few seconds for things to stop spinning inside.

And - don't pause in neutral go dirctly from Hi to low without stopping - especially with an auto trans.

That's why I hate auto trans for off road.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

upalittle is on a distinguished road

Only info in his profile is that its a 94 YJ.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:12 PM
ajp2116

I really hate to admit this however, it was as simple as sliding it to the right a bit, because I also have a 98 Dodge Ram and I'm used to just pulling back, not having to slide it to the right. However, it moved back, it didn't move quite as far as it should have. I didn't really have time to play around with it but I'm sure that if I play with it enough, it should work just fine because I talked to the previous owner and he told me that, the jeep occational was put into 4x4 High but never into 4x4 Low and was never put into neutral on the lever, for that matter. I think, that it's just going to take some time and a little big of patients and after that, it should be just fine. I'm going to try to let it roll down my drive way a little bit probably later to see if letting it roll and shift at the same time may help.

Also, to help answer a few questions, it's a 94, manual, 4 cylinder, no AC, and no modifications have ever been done ie, no lifts, no additions, nothing what so ever, the previous owner bought it new in 94 and drove it back and forth to work everyday on the expressway. It does have some undercariage rust though so, that also may be affecting the who situation but that's quite normal for vehicles her in Michigan due to our harsh winters and all the salt that we use.

And thanks again to everyone who helped out, I really apreciated everything that you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.