Propane/Gas Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Addict

rubiconvict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Propane/Gas Jeep?

I saw this J-20 on Ebay that can run on either Propane or Gas. Anybody ever done this, Ive never heard of it just curious how well it worked and what all is involved [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

jlove86CJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Propane/Gas Jeep?

This is a really common conversion amoung the farming community. I've never had any real experience with it but my father modified a couple of cars in the 80's that could run off propane and gas at the same time. Just a matter of running plumbing to the carb and setting the mixture right. Propane burns hotter and cleaner than gas, if I remember right there was a question as to wether or not it would damage the pistons over time, but I think that was over quite a few miles (tens of thousands).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Addict

Interesting.....its a wonder you dont hear more of this with gas prices going through the roof
Old 08-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Journeyman

JeepDude is an unknown quantity at this point

So what is the going price on a gallon of propane vs a gallon a regular pump gas?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

jlove86CJ is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of the deisel guys are starting to do this, more power and better fuel economy.

Of course with any mod for fuel economy purposes you have to weigh the initial cost of the mod vs the amount of $$ saved in fuel. I know I can buy gas @ $2.49 and propane @ $1.50. That saving could add up quick, but most places are now adding road taxes if the propane is being used for powering up a motor vehicle vice being used to heat a home or in an RV or something like that.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Journeyman

Found the price chart on propane...
Charts

Looks like propane's about 43% cheaper. Basically, it's like for every dollar you spend on propane, you're saving 76 cents over gas. That's of course assuming gas mileage stays the same.

So would the mileage stay the same???
Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Addict

I knew you were able to use propane in a vehicle but just never heard of being able to switch from gas to propane, Ive heard of disels using both but not a gas engine

Here locally (hosier gas) sells propane for 1.25/gallon and gasoline here in indy is about 2.30/gallon
Old 08-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Journeyman

Some good info here.

"Costs

See the current model year light-duty vehicle and heavy-duty vehicle lists for costs of new propane vehicles offered by the auto manufacturers.

Factory-installed light-duty truck conversion costs about $2,500 over the conventional vehicle base price; non-factory conversions also average about $2,500.

Performance

Propane vehicle power, acceleration, and cruising speed are similar to those of gasoline-powered vehicles.

The range for bi-fuel vehicles is comparable to that of gasoline vehicles, but the range of dedicated propane vehicles is generally less than gasoline vehicles because of the lower energy content of propane. (Propane contains about 84,000 Btu/gallon and regular gasoline averages 114,000 Btu/gallon.) Extra storage tanks can increase range, but the additional weight may displace some payload capacity. "
Old 08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point

You generally lose some power on a gas to propane conversion unless the compression ratio is increased to take advantage of the higher antiknock properties of propane. Those conversions were very common here in Manitoba in the 80's among fleet vehicles and many taxi cabs still run propane. They used to convert new trucks where I used to work, and they seemed to have less power after the conversion.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Aprentice

pulento is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
So would the mileage stay the same???

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand you get fewer miles/gal on propane than on gas.

just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement