Off Roading Forums banner

Dana 30 rebuild

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Warthog 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

so i'm finally puttin that chrysler 8.25 into the rear of the YJ. At the same time I will be changing the gears up front.

Decided i'm going to do the bearings and seals on the 30 while i have it apart. it's my first time doing a rebuild on an axle, so anything i should keep in mind when doing a dana 30.

i've hear timken are the best rebuild kits. where's a good place to by them.

any special tools i need to have?

thanks in advance for the help

#2 ·
Get a kit that comes with the stupid little goodies like gear marking compound if you haven't done this before (don't already have some around). Buy every shim kit you can, cheap and they will come in handy sooner or later.

Look around at the big sellers on line:

http://www.drivetrain.com/

Randy's Ring & Pinion - Installation Kits

Don't forget to check www.4wd.com , they are competitive in my opinion.

Actually.... go through some of my links cause I don't remember what all is there:

Dale's Jeep Junk - Drivetrain Links

Don't forget to replace all of the little junk in the spindles.

Bring this back to the top before you get started... I'll do a search for some posts that will help.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

#3 ·
is there anywhere i can find an instruction set that would have torque and shim specs and such for doing this job? if i'm not changing the carrier do i have to do the shims? the carrier for 3.07s and 3.55 is the same carrier, or am i mistaken?

#5 ·
i have a hard time believing no one has rebuilt a dana 30 before. or is everyone who has at the bash this weekend?

#6 ·
3.07 and 3.55 share the same carrier. Can't help you with the torque/shim question, but you could ask a local mechanic.

You'll likely have to take some parts to a local mechanic to have bearings, races, etc. pulled and new ones pressed in. My local NAPA has a shop in back and it makes everything a LOT easier. It may seem like a big PITA the first time you do this, but when you're done you'll know what you need to do it quickly the next time!

#7 ·
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

now my next question is is about backlash. I've spent about 5 hours reading through websites and still can't get a good understanding of how to measure it.

i've looked at numerous pictures, and i still can't understand it. the closest i've come to understanding it is to hold the pinion so it won't move, and then place the end of the dial on the bottom of one of the ring gear teeth. then rock the ring gear back and forth. the free play/movement/slop that is there is what you actually measure?

not sure if that makes sense at all. can someone maybe clarify this? thanks again for all the help guys, you're trulely life/jeep savers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#8 ·
First here's page with some specifications.

Set Up Specifications

To check backlash first find a way to secure the pinion yoke so that it cannot move. Then setup a dial indicator to read the movement off of a tooth on the ring gear.

Most simple way I can think to explain it... can expound.

Will add old threads and more information tomorrow.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

#9 ·
ok i ordered a master overhaul kit form randy's ring and pinion today, which includes everything for the center part of the diff, but nothing on the rest of the axle. so my next question is, how many more bearings and seals are on the outer of the axle. is there just one outer bearing and seal on either side? or is there more in by the vaccum disco?

#11 ·
the outer axles on the yj d-30 have unit bearings. They are very expencive and come with the bearings and seals as an integrated unit. most folks don't replace them unless theres obvious need. If you do replace them, sell your old ones on ebay as folks will buy them as spares.
when you are setting up to measure backlash, the ing gear will move a tiny bit before the pinion moves. the distance the ring gear moves is the backlash. really you should have someone show you how to do gears the first time...

#12 ·
yeah i know i should, but don't exactly have someone around to show me.

so are the outer bearings part of the axle shafts or are the part of the hub assembly?

the YJ has 240,000 km on it, hence why i was going to do all the bearings, but i guess i won't worry about the outers.

thanks again for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.