Flat Tow: Locking Hubs on the Rear Axle ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Journeyman

shuffjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flat Tow: Locking Hubs on the Rear Axle ????

I was just thinking about all the flat tow issues and it hit me that if you could put locking hubs on the rear then you would have all 4 wheels free of the drive train.

Anyone done this?

Crazy Idea? Ok so it is, can you do it anyway?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flat Tow: Locking Hubs on the Rear Axle ????

You'd be wanting something like a Warn Full Floater Rear axle kit....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Journeyman

shuffjb is an unknown quantity at this point

Whew! That is the quickest reply I have seen!

Thanks Leve!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

thorjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the warn full floaters in the rear, and I like them. Flat towing is a breeze, and they come in handy if you break a driveshaft. If you do them be very careful with the seals as they will leak if you don't do them correctly. There are two ways you can go with installation; Lubrication by grease, sealing the diff fluid out of the hubs or leaving the seals out and letting the hubs be lubed by the diff fluid. I did the latter as I am a Lazy [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] and don't want to grease the hub setup frequently, just change the diff fluid.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Old Hand

pnut is an unknown quantity at this point

2 years ago, Currie built me a 9" and I decided not to do this. I decided not too because the hub would be the weak link in the setup. HOWEVER, I regret the decision because if I was blowing hubs, I could always switch over to drive flanges. This would then be slightly stronger than non full-float. Besides, swapping a hub if necessary is quick (most of the time you can continue on with 3wd anyhow).

If I could do it again, I would do the full float conversion with rear hubs (since I flat tow my Jeep anyplace longer than 100 miles). I still may do it since I don't plan to ever have a trailer (too wide/heavy/tall, storage, $$, etc).

Last I talked with Currie about this 2 weeks ago, the cost for this kit on a 9" was about $1k (afte the fact). It IS a bolt on kit. You save some money if you modify your drum at a machine shop yourself. So figure on $750-$800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement