can you run 2 different axle ratios? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can you run 2 different axle ratios?

I friend has a 03 f-250 and he insists that it has different axle ratios front and rear (3.73 back and 3.90 front) so does that mean that the tranfer case is putting out different ratios or am i missing something here? I have never heard of this when running the same size tires.

thanks all
shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mbalbritton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can you run 2 different axle ratios?

I've heard of slight diferences.. but not that much of a difference... by slight I mean 3.55, 3.54...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

WHTTRASH is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
I friend has a 03 f-250 and he insists that it has different axle ratios front and rear (3.73 back and 3.90 front) so does that mean that the tranfer case is putting out different ratios or am i missing something here? I have never heard of this when running the same size tires.

thanks all
shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

ive heard you can run a 4.10 and 4.11 together...but nothing that wide of a ratio.....i think your friends on crack [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, under certain conditions it WOULD BE POSSIBLE, and those conditions are that you have a center differential......a splitter that sends different shaft RPM to each axle as needed. My '97 ZJ with the Model 242 transfer case is set up that way and would tolerate that, but of course the useful life of that center differential would be reduced. Our '79 CJ with the Quadra-Trac has a center differential as well, and we have modified it to be more like the 242 for snow driving. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] When I was a kid we had several WWII army trucks that we used on our ranch to feed cows and haul fertilizer and so forth and I know for a fact that the front axle ratio was slightly higher....in other words the axle went faster PER TURN OF THE DRIVELINE than did the rear axles. That was supposed to "lead" the truck better in deep mud. These were six-by-sixes of course and they would want to crab sideways real bad if the front axle wasn't "leading" just a tad. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Now.....those trucks could not run even TEN FEET on dry ground if the front axle was still engaged.....it would produce a gear bind that would soon cough up a front driveline if you didn't grab that floor lever and back up a bit and unwind the bind so you could pop it out of front axle drive. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

uglyjeepoffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always heard of a 10% or less difference. For a strictly mud truck, I guess it would work. I can attest to the fact that different ratios will work off road, but as soon as you turn onto pavement, something has to give.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1391426-ringgearsmaller.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

WHTTRASH is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
.....I know for a fact that the front axle ratio was slightly higher....in other words the axle went faster PER TURN OF THE DRIVELINE than did the rear axles. That was supposed to "lead" the truck better in deep mud. These were six-by-sixes of course and they would want to crab sideways real bad if the front axle wasn't "leading" just a tad. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Now.....those trucks could not run even TEN FEET on dry ground if the front axle was still engaged.....it would produce a gear bind that would soon cough up a front driveline if you didn't grab that floor lever and back up a bit and unwind the bind so you could pop it out of front axle drive. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats pretty neat......i have never heard of that..... [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only other situation that I could think of would be if the rear tires were a different size than the front....and it would have to be quite a bit.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i thought he was on crack too, but i just thought i'd through it out there for y'alls input. do you know of any tcases that have different output ratios to the front and rear axle?

thanks all
shawn
Old 02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

I guarantee it did not come from the factory with those mixed ratios.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, that's too much of a ratio to be from the factory. I've heard of guys that run mud bogs running different ratios. I bet he's pulling your leg or some one messed with his diffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement