Lockrite install with 4.10 gears ? D30 and 8.8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road
Default Lockrite install with 4.10 gears ? D30 and 8.8

i have front D30 and rear ford 8.8....

does anyone know if i can install lockrite/aussie lockers/mini-spool without having to pull the Dif? i know i have to check to see if the cross pin will clear the ring gear, i havent had time to pull it open to check so im hoping someone will know the answer from experience.

Thanks ! much appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Journeyman

boogercj7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lockrite install with 4.10 gears ? D30 and 8.8

I didn't have to pull the diff to install a Lockrite in my D30 with 4.10 gears. You hit the nail on the head when you said that you have to check if the cross pin will clear the ring gear though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lockrite install with 4.10 gears ? D30 and 8.8

I had to pull mine, but I have spoken to others who did not. Mine was 1/4 inch from clearing so no way could I have pulled it without removing the carrier. But that is not the difficult part, Reading the instructions and getting those dang springs in is the hard part.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lock-rit install with 4.10 gears ? D30 and 8.8

[ QUOTE ]
But that is not the difficult part, Reading the instructions and getting those dang springs in is the hard part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rio you said a mouth full there,,, all I can say is use a LOT of white grease to hold those springs in place as you put them in.

Also mine did not have to be pulled to get the lock rites in,,, But at the time I had 307 gears. Thin, thin, thin, thin thin. The 410's in my friends we had to pull, because the thicker gear. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a disc brake 8.8 with 4.10s and a lockright, and a Dana 30 front (1990+ vintage - newer brakes, not the 87-early90 brakes) with 4.10s and a lockright.

On the 8.8 I did not have to pull the diff.
On the Dana 30 I did have to.

Good luck
Pete
Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

my 4.10 carrier for my d30 i want to say i didn't have to pull the ring and pinion off to do it. Pulling the carrier is pretty easy and i would make sure your front axle joints are up to snuff before you put the lockright in. It is a ton easier to do the install on a bench instead on in the jeep.

If you have to pull the carrier it's really simple and the whole install should take about an hour. Here's the directions if you have to pull the front carrier. If you do not have to remove the carrier do everything but the last couple steps

Jack up front end of jeep
Remove Tires
Pull off brake calipers and rotors (use big hammer to pound off calipers, beat of rotors if they don't fall off)
Remove 3 13mm 12pt hub nuts from knuckle
Beat the living piss outa the hub assembly till it comes off, lately i've just been hitting the backing plate into the hub if it's in the way
Pull out hub and shaft assembly
Throw out brake backing plate, it's the reason rocks get stuck in your brakes
Pull diff cover
Remove 4 center cap bolts, mark which one goes on which side and which way
Pull out carrier, some times it take some force with a pry bar and hammer to get it out, make sure you remeber which race goes on which side
Install lockright
Installing carrier is the reverse of removal, i havn't used a torque wrench on carrier bolts or ring and pinion bolts in a while and they have been fine but you'll probably want a torque wrench and haynes with the torque specs

For my 8.8 mini spool i didn't have to pull the carrier though i did have to clearance the mini spool a little. It was the one from randy's. Shoot me an IM about it if you get a mini spool so you don't put up a post whining in the middle of your install about it not clearing, other people have had the same issue. Also make sure you get a mini spool that doesn't require a c-clip eliminator.

The 8.8 mini spool is pretty simple to install, the center pin is a very small 12pt bolt (i want to say 1/4") that likes to strip out. My old 8.8 had a 1/2" nut welded to the bolt, worked perfectly and there was plenty of room to get a wrench on it. Plan on that bolt striping out and having to remove it some way.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies all

andy, i tried to PM you for details on this so-called clearancing....but it bounced back saying you had too many PMs and your box is full!

so....whats the deal with clearancing....im leaning towards lockrite for the rear...but who knows still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement