Installing a fiberglass tub on a CJ-5. Need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

beee240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Installing a fiberglass tub on a CJ-5. Need help

A guy I work with just received his fiberglass tub from Quadratec yesterday and it came with no instructions whatsoever. Nothing has been pre-drilled or labeled. Does anyone know where he or I can get a set of instructions on how to put this on to his CJ-5? If not, any pointers that any of you fiberglass owning guys may know?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 08:27 AM
NOMO OFFROAD

Default Re: Installing a fiberglass tub on a CJ-5. Need help

think twice the elec
you have to run ground wires to everything. make surre that you guys have at lweast three eaisly accessable ground connections on the rig.
As it seems that the budget for this build up is more than usual you may want to buy a wiring harneess kit for a fibergalss tub from painless or ez wiring.

as far a fitment it will take a few test fits and make sure that everything has been installed and working before you take it back apart to have it painted.

if you buy a nutcert tool will save you a lot of time and money and make maintance a lot eaiser and give a much cleaner look to the finished product.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Veteran

John_Strenk is an unknown quantity at this point

I would call Quadratec and complain.

There is a mounting kit that makes it simpler or you can manufacture your own. This is because the original mounts are not a good place to mount a fiberglass tub. So you have to run a piece of metal between two body mounts and mount the tub to this new support.

Yeah, you better call Quadratec to get the instructions.

I used a vidio from 4WD Hardware for help on mine but basically I just made sure it was centered on the frame properly, I think it was lined up the firewall with the first body mount but I just made sure the rear was lined up on mine.

I just remounted my tub on my CJ5 frame so I can supply you with some pictures.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

I just suggested to him that he calls Quadratec and complain about not receiving any instructions. They overcharged him by $150 on shipping too, so a call is in order. His main concern was cutting out the holes for the gas, brake, and clutch peddles. He has the old firewall, so he at least has something to go off of for measurements. He just doesn't want to have to patch up any holes from cutting and mounting in the wrong spots.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OlllllllOCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I would second the motion that you make the supplier own up. But have talked to a couple of folks that came to the conclusion that buying a fiberglass body was like buying a blank canvas and they had to paint their own picture.

I see a pretty nice fiberglass CJ-5 (and it's owner) at the grocery store from time to time. He had some problems fitting the seats, nothing to mount to or through in the kit. He worked it out. Also he has a background in electronics so wiring issues didn't bother him much.

Others had some different issues... Can't speak first hand so I'll leave it there.

And then there is pnut...

Click the pic and send him a PM.

Having seen his CJ-7 in person, with some mud on it out at Badlands... it's a fiberglass body for sure and looks like he covered all the bases to put it together.

Could be he has some helpful hints.

Wish I had his budget.

Dale
Old 02-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Veteran

John_Strenk is an unknown quantity at this point

I too had problems with the seats but it was because the PO modified the seats brackets and I didn't catch it in time. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Here is the special mount you have to make for some fiberglass tubs.

Don't worry I replaced it with a SS mount. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...Top-View-1.jpg

I don't know what the Quadratec tub needs to mount it. This is for a 4WD tub.

My tub has the steel plate chiseled off the firewall of the original tub to bet the holes right for the brake and steering wheel. It also acts as an reinforcement to the pedals and wheels. I got a couple extra laying around I can sell or he can chisel off his own. This makes it real easy to line things up.

The heater assembly was the bear for me. Converting from a 76 Internal motor to an 84 external motor. I was only a 1/8" off but it works.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Journeyman

reddoogone is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything on mine was ok. My tub came from aj's. I had a minor problem with the seat bracket clearances. I got a glass top& doors from mav on this board. A hard find ! the doors needed a little finagling, But was WELL worth it . He went above & beyond the call of duty to get it to me . (THANKS AGAIN MAV!!)I bought a whole jeep allready done with a bad frame, so mine was drilled out allready.But I bought new bushings from aj's To remount it. Just make sure you have enough grounds for the electrical system. I bypassed the heater deal & went with a heatercraft heater. That thing reallys toasts it up .
Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Can't Get Enough

Default Re: Installing a fiberglass tub on a CJ-5. Need h

He was able to get Quadratec to send him the instructions. Apparently, they had switched manufacturers halfway through his order, and some stuff fell through the cracks. I'll keep you updated as to what issues come up when he tries to install it.
Thanks to everyone who reponded to my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.