Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Veteran

OIIIIIIIO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to convince my wife...

that i should buy another jeep...

i got a possible line on a 78 Cj5 with a 304.

frame is not in good shape...

but the 304 sounds strong yet...

it's got new fiberglass all the way around...

would be sold to me as a salvaged vehicle (2 previous owners ago didn't keep the vin tag when swapping in the 'glass...hmmm...sounds familiar...)

for $500

worth it?

i figure i could get much more than the money parting it out...not exactly sure the best way to part it out though (like how to sell the bigger parts)...

course...i do think that the straight 6 in my jeep might need a rebuild in a few years...could keep that 304 and swap it in...

any thoughts?

i know...do it...

now...how to convince the wife...she controls the money...

patrick
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how to convince my wife...

For me (in Alaska) that would be a steal of a deal. 'Course, I'd swap the glass tub onto my '5s frame...

Couple things to think about though. First, other than the 304 are there any parts YOU can use? Are the fenders and hood 'glass too? Those would be nice on your '7....a bit of weight savings and no worries about rust in the future. Second, is there enough jeep interest in your area to get your money back and then some for your investment (don't forget your time here!)? Third, if the 304 is your primary motivation for the purchase, I'd shy away. I've got a 304 in my '74 CJ5 and it's a decent engine. It motivates things nicely. However, I can buy 350 Chevys in good shape all day long for less than $500. The SBC 350 has more power, more after market support, and may be the very cheapest V-8 to work on in the world. If I'm not mistaken (somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) the 304 and 258 aren't a direct bolt up swap. Besides motor mounts, aren't the bellhousings different? Anyhoo, that's my thoughts on the subject. Since I currently have a CJ5 and a CJ7 (one with a 304, the other with a 258) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Oh, and as far as convincing the wife? Simple: Jewelry. Heck, my wife manages a jewelry store and it STILL works on her! (I'll skip the amusing story I had with her assistant manager where I explained that the normal lady's excuse of buying jewelry to look better for their guys didn't jive....I explained that the guys most certainly weren't looking at the jewelry...she responded by saying that they could always wear the jewelry and nothing else...I responded by saying guys STILL wouldn't be looking at the jewelry!)

Anyhow, good luck with it and let us know what you do!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OlllllllOCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
how to convince my wife...

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't a fair question...

It takes experts in a very different discipline.

Wish you all the luck...

Dale
Old 12-31-2004, 09:56 AM
Addict

sweetpea is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
now...how to convince the wife...she controls the money...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell her it's a steal at 500 smackers and your really saving money because she knows you'll find another one anyway and it will probably be more expensive. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] Or you could go with the "But honey i need a winter project and it will keep me out of your hair". [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] Or wine until she gives in just to shut you up! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] Just my professional opinion.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Veteran

webjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually the "it's such a good deal and if we pass on it we're going to lose money down the road, we just have to get it baby, heck i can even take what i need and probably part out the rest for what we'll pay."

that hits the practical side and the woman's inability to avoid a good deal areas so it usually gets the job done.

-web
Old 12-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

[ QUOTE ]
how to convince my wife...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's simply, impossible.... Wives are like teen-agers, you can tell 'em but you can't tell 'em much. They think for themselves. You'll never know what those wheels and cogs are doing.

Most often it's best not to ask! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 11:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

lilrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Raduckal on this one! Drag it home! She'll talk to you again in a few days!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

My method is something like Hi honey,, How do you like the new lawn ordement.. She usualy replies with something like I get half the profit right??? And of course i say yes!!!

Joking aside,, I just buy it if I want it and have the money,,, Course the second is the limiting factor not the wife..

Although she did come out and yell at me the other day when all the snow was on the ground, something like 3 jeeps in this garage you would think one of them could take me to the store!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistaken (somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) the 304 and 258 aren't a direct bolt up swap. Besides motor mounts, aren't the bellhousings different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll correct you. 258 and 304 have the same bell housing pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement