OT - Removing window crank from Cavalier - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT - Removing window crank from Cavalier

Not sure what year it is...its my girlfriends. I'm trying to take the door panel off so I can work on the lock mechanism which won't work with a key from the outside. I've got everything holding the pane in place off except for that stupid window crank. There's no visable screws from the outside and I only see the shaft on the inside. Whats the trick?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

upalittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Removing window crank from Cavalier

There's a keeper on it. One of our body men can give you better details, but you should be able to push in on the panel and see it. That's all I know.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the shaft, and the shank of the window crank. You'll likely see a pin that wraps through the shank and locks into a grove on the window crank shaft similar to this graphic.

You can pull this pin out with long nose pliers or a nice piece of stiff wire with a hook on the end. Tools aren't too expensive to pull the clip:

Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Aprentice

YJinDC is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a semi-circular clip that holds the crank on. The crank handle pops onto a tapered/splined post and snaps into place. You can make a hook out of a piece of ridged wire. Try a Ford repair kit (a.k.a. a hanger); make a sharp bend on the end of a straightend piece of wire and reach behind the crank from the direction opposite the knob. Pull the clip out and the crank will come off. Motormite HELP tools makes a clip remover for about $5 if you want one. It has weird tabs that line up with the clip and pushes the clip open without poping it out but it doesnít damage the clip if you pull it off. Look at a Motormite replacement crank at Autozone/PepBoys; It will make sense when you see it. A crochet hook would work too. Just pulling the crank off will damage the clip, so pull it off as Iíve described.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well just after I posted I looked on the Autozone website and found what was holding it on and called them up. They wanted around $7 for the tool. Thrifty eagle scout me said I aint payin that for a one time use so I called the local Chevy dealer to see if they'd remove it for me. Well the guy says I don't even need a tool.....all I need is a shop rag. So I say to myself "Self, you have shop rags" and asked how to do it. Apparently all it really takes is to stick the rag (I actually used an old sock) behind the crank. Then in a motion like shining shoes go back and forth pulling in the opposite direction that the crank is pointing. The rag catches the clip and unhooks it. And by golly it worked!!!!!

I love simple ingenuity!! And I got the lock working on her door again. It wouldn't work with the key from the outside on the passenger door. Sprayed a little WD-40 in the lock and then sprayed a bunch on the mechanism inside the door. I love simple fixes like this. I even got it all put back together without breaking anything!!! How great is that?

Thanks for the super quick responses guys.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

JBTater is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for future reference,
How did you get the retainer clip back on?
Could you get to it with needle nose pliars between the crank and the panel?
Sorry, but we idiots have to learn somehow.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OlllllllOCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
How did you get the retainer clip back on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that is so simple you might not think of it...

Just put the clip on the crank and pop it back over the spline with a firm smack of your hand, done.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement