Headlight Wiring Diagram - Upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Journeyman

newjeepowner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headlight Wiring Diagram - Upgrade

I drafted a simple wiring diagram to upgrade my headlight wiring harness. I wanted to get some opinions. good, bad, overkill?

I plan on soldering all joints, using high temp wiring loom, 10-12 gauge terminal and rings, and plenty of zip ties.

Click the link below

http://photos.yahoo.com/jeep02tj
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Headlight Wiring Diagram - Upgrade

Here's your diagram.

You're on the right track, but you don't need two wires from the battery. Since both pairs of filaments won't be on at the same time you can run a wire to one relay and then jumper it to the second relay.

And there's no need whatsoever to run the relay grounds back to the battery - the current flow through them is miniscule.

Are you going to higher-wattage bulbs to justify all of this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1360469-e0b8.jpg (22.6 KB, 65 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Pooh-Bah

uglyjeepoffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

That is essentially the diagram I was going to send you. I was out of town for the weekend and you took it into your own hands. Good job.
I agree with Jim Lou and his post. I would also mention, I went with a 40 amp circuit breaker instead of a fuse. If I ever over load it, it can cool down and reset. I will never be stuck without a fuse in the middle of no where...
Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

The circuit breaker is a good idea, but I don't know about the 40-amp rating. Will 10 gauge wire take 40 amps?

The fuse or breaker should have a lower rating than anything else in the circuit, or about half-again bigger than the expected load, whichever is less. If you're going to be running two 60-Watt filaments, that's 120 Watts, or about 10 amps. A 15 or 20 amp breaker would be a better choice.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes, I plan on running a pair of IPF J-Magics Super low beams (80w/60w). I already installed IPF H4 round headlamps and Sylvania H4 bulbs (55w/60w). I updated the diagram. I think I am going to stick with the 40Amp relays... I already ordered them. Do you guys see them (the relays) as being a problem, i.e. melting wires?

http://photos.yahoo.com/jeep02tj

btw... how do i post images and make them appear in the thread?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 AM

The 40 amp relays are fine. You can safely oversized everything except the fuse or breaker.

Two 80 Watt filaments will draw about 14 amps, (160 Watts divided by 12 volts) so a 20 amp breaker would be about right. Then everything else in the system must be capable of handling at least that much, preferrably a little more. My brain book says that 10 gauge wire will carry 40 to 55 amps depending on wire type and ambient temperature up to 140*, so you should be fine with that setup.

The advantage to oversizing the wire and relays is that there is less voltage drop between the battery and the bulbs which gives a whighter light.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Pooh-Bah

uglyjeepoffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to add that I was running other relays off of the same breaker. You do want to match it to your needs. I think you will be fine with what you ordered.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Journeyman

Ok... after some more search online. I have read that some people recommend using diodes in the harness to eliminate a high voltage feedback throught the system when turning the lights off. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-10-2004, 05:00 PM

Never heard of such a thing. A diode will act as a resistor in the forward direction, and you don't want any resistance there because it reduces voltage to the lights.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Journeyman

Check this site out. It's diagrams are designed aroung HID systems but the integration of a diode is explained.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlamp-harness.html

here is another http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/headlights.htm

another http://www.geocities.com/midlife66/w...Halrelays.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement