stock carb swap to holley - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:04 AM
alternix

Default stock carb swap to holley

Ive got a stock carb on my jeep (88 wrangler 258)
in fact everything is stock. I'm a rookie at this.

I hear the stock carbs are crap - and I should replace it with a Holley carb. This will make the Jeep run like new [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or at least better than it does now.....

Any recommendations?

Is there anything I need to do besides unscrew the old one and bolt in the new one? Is this even the right way to go?
Which model should I get?

a Double Pump?
how many CFM?

Are there any other things I also need to get?

I love bumps and dirt trails, but i dont do any serious off-roading so im not worried about pitching the jeep up over 50 degrees too often....

Any help would be appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

lomodyj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: stock carb swap to holley

Save your money...the holley is good but for the $$$ the MC2100 is better. Do a search on 2100 or MC2100 on here. There will be lots and lots of info.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point

Look for a good 1.08 MotorCraft 2100 carb these carbs are probably the best reliable carb ever built, Not to mention the easiest to work on.
They came on Fords, American Motors, cars, trucks and Jeeps from the early 70's till mid 80's.

You will have to do a little work to get them to fit, adapters and linkage, but after that they run very well.
Holly on the other hand is very expensive, hard to adjust and keep adjusted, and works very POORLY offroad.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll probably pay way too much for someone's coveted Holley 2bbl. Leave them for the guys that need them for racing in classes that dictate they use them. I'm not saying you can't fix this problem, but I followed a guy on the trail with one, and he flooded and stalled out on every hill. Find yourself a Motorcraft 2100. It has a little 1.08 cast into a circle on the side of the casting. You can find them on 304 AMC v8's. Also look in the junkyard on Ford cars. The carb once set up is very reliable, responsive and has an excellant idle. The jets should be #47's in the 1.08 from a 304. You need the same adapter plate you would use for the Holley. It's generally called a large two barrell to small 2 bbl adapter. There should be a link somewhere to a writeup or ask and I'll email you one with all the details.

Tim
Old 09-07-2004, 03:13 PM
alternix

thanks all! Ill go get a motoraft 2100.

Do i need to get an adapter plate? any other things ill need to buy? linkage? springs?

and should i get one from a junk yard as opposed to getting one new? I know its cheaper, but how much work am I gonna have to do to get it up and running... remember, im a rookie.....
Old 09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you need an adapter plate. The old carter carb uses a much smaller bolt pattern for mounting.

If you would like to try rebuilding a carburetor, get one from a junkyard, remember what year, make, model, and ideally get one with the tag on it (partsman may ask for the tag number). Otherwise, price out rebuilt ones at your local parts stores. I'd ask for one for a 1980 CJ5 with 304 (to give them some numbers).

Any carb that is sitting in a junk yard could be pretty gummed up inside. Also, look out for worn out throttle shaft bores. These are a source of vacuum leak. I'm not sure how much play is acceptable. I'd say if you can see any play up and down, its not worth buying. They can install a bushing at a rebuilder, but its probably not worth trying to save such a carb as they should be plentiful.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement