EFI fuel pump longevity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2004, 11:57 PM
jeepfiend

Default EFI fuel pump longevity

I am in the process of collecting parts for an EFI conversion. I already have a pump that could work, but it is used. My question is, do EFI pumps die if they dry out? Can a used EFI pump be used if it has not been in gas and running?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EFI fuel pump longevity

The only experience I have with a used EFI electric fuel pump was not good. I was working on building a TBI Chevy 350 engine stand for an auto shop class. The TBI 350 engine we were using had the electric fuel pump in the gas tank. The donor vehicle had been sitting with almost no gas in the gas tank for more than a year. The pump was shot. To be honest, I do not know if the pump was good when the donor vehicle was parked. The donor vehicle had not been in an accident, so I'm figuring the donor vehicle had some type of mechanial problem. I find it strange that a vehicle would be abandoned just because it was low on gas, or the fuel pump went bad. Once the TBI Chevy 350 engine stand EFI wiring was sorted out, the engine ran fine except for some very minor surging.

Maybe there is a way you can figure out a way to test a used EFI electric fuel pump by using an amperage meter and rig up a fuel pump pressure guage. Usually a good electric EFI fuel pump will draw only a few amps, and a bad electric EFI fuel pump will draw nearly double the amperage a good electric EFI fuel pump will draw when the pumps reach full pressure. Just a word of caution, used electric EFI fuel pumps will have gas in them. Be careful not to get gas in your eyes when testing a used EFI electric fuel pump.
dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

1. Yes, pumps can fail,
2. Especially used ones.
3. Part of the problem is the gas.
4. It cools the pump as if flows,
5. But when inactive for a long period,
6. The varnish produced by the gas,
7. Can freeze up a pump.
8. I'd suggest filling a can of gas,
9. With SeaFoam in it,
10. Then let the pump cycle out of the can,
11. And back into the can.
12. The SeaFoam will remove deposits,
13. And varnish,
15. Extending it's life.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Old Hand

mach2_nh is on a distinguished road

Why even use used parts like that? Something like a pump is #2 on the list of things you need to keep your rig runing. Thats all you need is for it to die in a mud hole or 3mil from any road..
Old 04-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Why even use used parts like that? Something like a pump is #2 on the list of things you need to keep your rig runing. Thats all you need is for it to die in a mud hole or 3mil from any road

[/ QUOTE ]1. Humm... good question..
2. But with EFI,
3. Always carry a spares..[*]Fuel Pump[*]Ignition Module
4. It beats walkin'
Old 04-25-2004, 10:38 AM
jeepfiend

The only reason I would consider using the used one, is the fact that I already have it. I actually have two of them. One I got when I thought it had died in my Trooper, but the problem turned out to be the wiring harness. So the old trooper pump, the same used for GM TBI systems is less than a year old. I also have a Land Rover pump that I mistakenly replaced. I was told by the salesman at the dealer that the regulator had been replaced in the Rover right before I bought it, so when I had fuel pressure problems, I immediately replaced the pump. Come to find out, the salesman lied, it was not the pump after all. I don't want to use the rover pump in the Jeep, I actually just want it for a spare for the rover. The Seafoam sounds like a good idea. I now know that both pumps were working when they were pulled, so I was just wondering if they live long after drying out. With mechanical pumps, I always replace them if they are dried out, but EFI pumps cost so much more I was just wondering if they could be reused or at the very least, kept for a spare. Unless I assemble my own EFI kit, I will look for a kit that includes the pump, and see if the old Trooper pump will work as a spare. And with the price, and sometimes limited availability, of Land Rover parts it never hurts to have a few spares around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement