LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California
GoldToyBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Matching Axles ratios front to rear

Do axle ratio's have to match exactly (front to rear). Found this in an add:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Ring and pinion sets. Dana 30 front with 4.10 ratio / Dana 44 rear with 4.09 ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe a typo? Just got me to wondering How close the ratios have to be if not exactly the same? I thought some full time 4x4 rigs had differnt ratios to allow for some slippage before the front axle would see any torque? Or is that some "garage talk bull#&amp;$t.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Randyzzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Matching Axles ratios front to rear

4.09 to 4.10 is just fine. Fords and other models have been running that way for years...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's also the same reason they tell you not to run in 4low on pavement...dirt has give and will not bind up the xfer case.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference in ratio has nothing to do with trying to get one axle to spin faster than the other. This is a reply I wrote on 8/13/00 and again on 4/29/02:

the front and rear axles usually have different diameter ring gears. sometimes this difference is why they have a different number of teeth. for example: a dana 44 4.09:1 ratio has 45 teeth on the ring gear and 11 teeth on the pinion. (ring gear diameter is 8 3/4"?) 45/11=4.090909... a dana 30 4.10:1 ratio has 41 teeth on the ring gear and 10 teeth on the pinion. (ring gear diameter is 7.5"?) 41/10=4.10. this little difference in ratios isn't enough to worry about.

This is from 12/02/02:

The reason the front and rear are different on many 4x4's isn't because one end is designed to "outrun" the other. The reason is very simple: they are usually different model axles. With different models, such as a dana 30 front and 35 rear, the ring gears are different diameters. That means that the teeth count probably won't be the same which is where the slightly different ratio NUMBER comes from. From a design view, 4.09, 4.10, and 4.11 for example, are the SAME. They are that close. Again, the difference is just due to the different diameter ring gears and pinion gears. That's all, nothing else.
----------------------------------

The number of teeth on the ring gear is dependant on the diameter of the ring gear. Different diameters mean different tooth counts for the "same" ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement