Why not swap a Toyota axle w/ Locker? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 10:08 AM
KFLogan

Default Why not swap a Toyota axle w/ Locker?

Hi Folks,

Im considering an axle swap for the rear of my 91 YJ. I plan to do a springover as well.

Conventional wisdom says that I, being "budget minded" (poor), should use a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. This is good if I can find one with 4.10 gears, Trac-Loc, and disk brakes. All well and good.

But why not use a Toyota axle? It has an 8.4 ring gear, and can be found with 4.10 gears and an electric locker, I dunno what the brakes are. But the capability of a full open/ full locked diff is attractive.

Theyre both "close" in width, ie within adjustment by wheel spacers.

Im looking for real reasons not to here, so fire away.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Addict

RatherBeJeeping is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why not swap a Toyota axle w/ Locker?

Bolt pattern is about the only reason. The Toyota that comes with a locker will be a 6 bolt, and already as wide as your rear axle now. You can get adpaters to swap the pattern back to stock, but that just makes the rear axle wider then the front. If you get the adapters for the front to make it match the Toyota then you'll be buying a new set of rims.
It's just $$
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mbalbritton is an unknown quantity at this point

besides wheel bolt pattern.... SACRALIDGE! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California
GoldToyBox is an unknown quantity at this point

Like you I'm thrifty (cheap & broke) but If the $$$$$$ work for you, go for it. But like previously mentioned the wheel costs may sink it for you. I've seen the toyota axles under Jeeps & Scouts but can't remember only one axle.
Good luck
Old 04-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

1977CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar opportunity, I have an early 80's <nobr>toyota</nobr> <nobr>4x4</nobr> that was given to me. So FREE axles!

Are there any benefits in swaping axles besides the fact that Im running narrowtracks right now?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:16 PM
KFLogan

I hadnt considered the bolt issue, but would it be too hard to have the axle shaft ends redrilled? I know that can be done.

And I dont see 'yota axles as being any worse under a Jeep than International Harvester or Ford axles, as far as religion goes. Im not a Jeep zealot by any means. Though I do love my Jeep, I dont pray before it, and I realize that it has shortcoming that need to be addressed before I take it into harms way.

Its friday, almost Beer:30 [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Cain

It would not be my axle of choice, as they are not a strong Axle and you guys must be able to get something better from a bone yard
This<nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,88654);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(88654);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,88654);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(88654);">Toy</nobr></a></nobr></a> last year he did 6 R&amp;P and a CV he runs 34" simex Tyres and ARB's 4.10.All-pro sell none crushable spacers for the Pinion and that seems to have sorted that prob for the moment.What was happening was the pinion was crushing the crush washer under power and then taking the ring Gear out.This toy comes in at 2300KGs(5071 lbs)so under a CJ it could last longer as the <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,88557);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(88557);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,88557);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(88557);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,88557);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(88557);">jeep</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> is a lot lighter and so are the toy axles but what about all those junk yard 44's 60's 9" Fords
Old 04-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

ryankopecki is an unknown quantity at this point

77CJ7, the toyota axles shoulf work great. They probably come with 4.10 R&amp;P. The guys that break alot of gears are usually running 5.29 or such. Toy shafts seem to be made of better metal than spicer, you don't see many break. The front axle is about as strong as a d30 stock, but you can get longfield birfs for about $200 to make it much stronger than a stock d44. They're about 3" wider than you have now. High steer is easier/cheaper than with dana's. And the driveshaft u-joints can take more angle than any others.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

1977CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

I know a few guys running these right now. My only delima is wether or not to set them up for SUA.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

I know some 2x4 toys came with 5x4.5 bolt pattern axles but they are pretty narrow (54-56" wide if i'm not mistaken). The toy axles with electric lockers came under tacomas and some land cruisers. I don't know the width but i'm pretty sure they are 6 lug. Those axles are going to be expensive to find and i'm not sure if they have disc brakes or not. Your cheepest option is an 8.8. They can be had with 4.10's and dics brakes for under $350 if you look around then it's about another $100 for other parts to put one in. Just about any locker you want you can get for them. My advice is to get one with an open diff so you can go with a lunch box locker if you don't want to spend the money for a full locker.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.