Totally O/T Do Chickens Survive In Winter ? ? ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road
Default Totally O/T Do Chickens Survive In Winter ? ? ?

random question

do chickens surive in winter if they are untended for? im thinking no, but i have no idea....my friends property has some random chickens on it and we are curious if they surive a northern illinois winter?

what do chickens need to surive a winter short of building a chicken coop? any farm boys?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 02:06 AM
Old Hand

MOX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Totally O/T Do Chickens Survive In Winter ? ? ?

Can't say I know the answer to that one, I have grown up on our ranch, and both sets of grandparents ranchs all my life. Never heard of the question before, but if ur ever board, I mean really board, go grab ya one of them chickens, hold its nose in the dirt till it calms down a lil bit, then take ur finger, put it right on the tip of its beak, and draw a straight line out from its beak in the dirt, about a foot long, then come back, and do it agian, do it about 4 or 5 times real slow, then very slowly take ur hand off its head(still holding its beak in the dirt) and take a few steps back real slowly. And that chicken will sit there and look at that line until u break its concentration. Its a old trick thats been around a while, my grandma used to do it back in the day cause she didn't like to go out and physicly kill one of em. But anywase, not sure if one of em could live a winter. Maybe if it had its nose outta the dirt it could [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd imagine they'd survive just the same as any other non-migratory bird. I can't say I really see sparrows and cardinals much over the cold winter but they must be somewhere. How about pigeons in the city? I guess its just one of those things that happens.

MOX, it really cracks me up that you mention that. I learned that trick when I was on a trip to Philmont in NM. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

Tippy is an unknown quantity at this point

They survive the winters out here in the Panhandle of Nebraska - They find shelter in tree belts and in barns. They do have to have a little corn thrown there way though.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

4x4garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Totally O/T Do Chickens Survive In Winter ?

Don't know if chickens survive winters but this is my favorite all time pickup line:

You: Excuse me... was your father a chicken farmer?
Woman: No!
You: Ohhh... because you sure know how to raise a cock!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Old Hand

eeboater is an unknown quantity at this point

I just saw some on the way home the other day. They looked healthy and fine to me... I'm guessing they are no different than a turkey...

Sean
Old 04-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Addict

jeeper2 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Illinois... maybe. Here in Montana we've had it so cold that they just sit on the perch... dropping their eggs onto the floor. If the cold had lasted long enough they probably would have died. Also have a friend that has seen chickens freeze to death on their perch. Other than that, most chickns are survivors, they eat just about everything... don't pass out in a chicken coop.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

JeepnGreg is on a distinguished road

were they wild chickens? or did they have a coop.....

i guess they can stand the temps.....but im curious if they can find food in the snow
Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Old Hand

eeboater is an unknown quantity at this point

They were in the backyard of a farmhouse so it is possible there was a coop...

In regard to the passing out in a chicken coop remark... I wonder what the chickens say when they eat stuff... Tastes like Human?

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sean
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
CJ7EMT

I would figure a chicken survives just as well as any other bird. Then again I have never sen a wild chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement