Cutting Metal Stick Vs Torch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DanStew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cutting Metal Stick Vs Torch

I got my stick welder and found it great that i can cut through metal with it. I am just using standard welding rods to blow through the metal. If i got the actual cutting rods could i get a clean cut out of metal?? I am not looking for perfect but something that i do not have to spend all day cleaning up with a grinder. If i can get away with cutting with the stick then i wont have to get th e torch setup adnytime soon. I know the torch is portable but i will be doing most of my metal work in my garage.

Thanks!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cutting Metal Stick Vs Torch

Not sure what you trying to "melt", but maybe a cheap ($19 @ HarborFreight/NorthernTool) and some cutoffs would be better?

My cousins old .45/.70 breachloader would put holes thru 1/4" plate, but I still prefer a drill & a sharp bit!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point

He he he, I've done that a few times, too.
Set the welder high and burn thru 3/4 inch metal, if you're not to concerned about the looks.
But then my welding always looked like a bunch of grapes [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 05:34 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

The cutting rods will cut, but are not too much better than what you are doing now. And they don't hold a candle to a torch in the "clean cut" dept. You can also make rods like 6010 and 6011 cut much better by reversing the polarity. That way they have a really nasty hot arc.(not good for welding that way tho)
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

DanStew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys thanks for the replys.

I was blowing holes through the metal jsut to make a large hole , larger than my available drill bits. I am cutting 1/4 steel with the stick welder. I guess i will end up getting the torch set. I was wondering if the cutting rods leave and metal behind or if they are just a sacrificial rod to just cut the metal. I may just keep using teh rods i havenow to cut thing. I also dont know if the cutting rods are more expensive.

Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

The cutting rods have a thicker coating that doesn't burn away as fast. The result is a cone shaped end that tends to concentrate the heat - to blast out the metal. So they work a little better than just regular weld rod.
But it's still not a very nice cut. I did it like that till I got a torch -- much much better. --- And no chipping slag!

And - you'll find the torch comes in very handy for heating and bending, loosening things like stuck bolts, and welding smaller or thin items.

After the torch, next step's MIG, then a Plasma cutter, then TIG, then ---- it never ends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement