OT - Battery terminal corrosion. What does it mean - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Veteran

kutyafal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT - Battery terminal corrosion. What does it mean

The plus terminal of the battery (3 yrs old) in my wife's car is corroding pretty badly. I clean all the blue stuff off and in a couple of weeks it's back in full force. What's could be causing this? There are no other problems with the car ('96 Camry) otherwise.

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Battery terminal corrosion. What does it mean

1. It's[*]A natural process.[*]More prevalent in wet/cold climate.
2. Try:[*]Burnish the battery posts.[*]Burnish the inside of the cable clamp[*]Install the anti-corrosion felt washers on the posts (those red-green ones).[*]Slather the post and the clamp with wheel-bearing grease.[*]Press the cable onto the post,[*]Tighten it down.[*]Put more wheel-bearing grease on the top of the post.
3. You're done.
4. I've also used[*]Coke[*]and Baking Soda to clean up the posts and clamps.
5. I favor a battery post cleaning tool...
6. Has anyone glued a couple of penneys,
7. To the top of the batteries,
8. About an inch from each post?
9. I hear it cuts down corrosion.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Old Hand

Hooch is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem after I bought new terminal connectors (One of them had snapped in half so I bought two new ones and replaced them both). Very soon after they started corroding and growing caulieflowers. I cleaned it but it was back in no time. It even started to pit the terminals.

I then bought different terminal connectors (read different make) as I found out that it was a reaction between the metal the connectors were made of and the posts. I never had the problem before with the old connectors so it could only be one thing. This solved the problem for me....

Did this recently start or after you put new connectors on?? If so, buy different ones and you will see it won't happen again....
Old 01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Aprentice

Tucker76CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also used the copper anti-lock gunk that you use on spark plugs. Works very well, just clean up the connectors and slather a good thick amount on...

Tucker
Old 01-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

highfill is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it very suspicious that MY wife's 96 TOYOTA CAMRY (!!!) does the EXACT same thing. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

With felt washers.
With grease.
With regular cleaning.
With a post/terminal cover.

Hmmm....
Old 01-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Old Hand

As I said, try replacing the actual connectors. It could be a reaction between the two different materials just like I experienced. It is cheap enough to try....

The ones that gave me so much trouble looked like some kind of brass. The ones I got now look like like a normal grey metal cast and I have no more problems with corrosion.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

I thought all top posts did it to some degree. No matter what you do I think all you can do is slow it down.
Think of it as maint. that you take care of when you change oil. I do. And it helps ease the pain. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Old Hand

Yes all post do it to some degree but I am not talking about a bit of corrosion; I am talking about a build up of large amounts of blue and white coloured caulieflower like excrement (almost like a dried up froth) in a period of only a week.... This is certainly not normal....
Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

I understand Rene. My jeeps not too bad, but my wifes merc is a b!^@*. It corrodes 10 times as much and as fast as mine. I've changed terminals and greased, and did the felt things. Never seems to change it much. So I just deal with it and "try" to keep it clean. :shrug:
Old 01-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Old Hand

I always use Vaseline to protect the posts from corroding. Since I changed my terminals I haven't seen one bit of corrosion.....

You can do without these kind of silly problems.... There are far more important things to keep you occupied (like only having two gears left in my slushbox and no reverse [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement