Head Bolts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Journeyman

Location: NORTHWEST FLORIDA ( all over Blackwater River State Forrest and any other dirt roads I can find)
HAYWIRE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Head Bolts?

I just pulled the head off of my 258 yesterday evening to get a broke head bolt out of the block, lucked out, it came out without having to drill and use an ease-out, but I heard or read awhile back that on the 258 when you do a head set that you need to replace the entire set of head bolts. I ain't never done that on anything else I've ever rebuilt or replaced the head gasket on. By the way, the broke bolt was at a waterport location. And what may have caused the bolt to break after it was torqed down and checked again after the first hundred or so miles? Stress or just a weak bolt? It was approx. 2 years ago when I replaced the cam and lifters and timing chain and gears. Any opinions? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Old Hand

YJOwnr22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Head Bolts?

I would say what caused it to break would be somebody who re-used it...did I say that? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] No seriously, you should NEVER re-use head bolts, I know that there will be a ton of posts now from people who will say "I've been doing that for 350 years and never broken a bolt." Well I suppose that's getting lucky....You are *always* supposed to use a new set of head bolts when you pull the head....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
No seriously, you should NEVER re-use head bolts,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is correct,,, to some degree!!!!

As a heavy line mechanic for several dealerships through out the 70's/80's, (Ford,Pontiac,AMC/Jeep,Chevy) The only dealership that required you to use new bolts on a head pull was Ford. That was only on the bolts that torqued higher than 65psi. On the most part it is a good idea to change them after they are 5 years old or torqued to a high rate. Keep in mind the stress on the bolt head and threads are the issue to include the elasticity of the bolt body. On the other hand if you stretch the bolt threads that means more than likely the block threads are stretched too [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Addict

OregonSahara is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced set of head bolts for my 4.0 head conversion. Apparently kollerparts.com is no longer in business.

Any suggestions on where I can find a set?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:11 AM
Old Hand

YJOwnr22 is an unknown quantity at this point

On the 4.0 head writeup that's out there on the net, wherever it is, there is a mopar performance part # for a set that is $22 i think for all of them....Through the dealer the plain jane head bolts are like $10 a piece or something.....
Old 01-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Addict

OregonSahara is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't find anyone that carries that Mopar Performance Part #: 4529204 for the set.

I also tried looking for the company Mopar Performance, no luck...

Does anyone have a current link or phone #?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Journeyman

kansasjeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to get mine from Summit Racing, Mopar no longer sells the head bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.