Obtaining title? Rebuilt parts jeep-have no title - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2003, 08:32 PM
sheesley

Default Obtaining title? Rebuilt parts jeep-have no title

Well-I got a 1990 wrangler that I have pieced together have have no information on the previous title owner. Anyone know how to get a new title issued or how to obtain the title now that it is road worthy again?

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining title? Rebuilt parts jeep-have no title

In Indiana that might qualify for an assembled vehicle as long as you have your recipts (Or can reproduce them). Here it requires a State police inspection and Photograph, then send off and they send back a title with vin.. Big hassle and you have to pay estamated value excise tax, but worth it if ya want the jewel on the road..

I do not think this will work with a vin attached though...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IN2DEEP is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't mean to be a jerk.... but..... why didn't you look into this before you did all the work? Or maybe WHILE you were swapping parts? I've seen this several times in the past, and I just can't think of a reason to build something without the paperwork in order. Unless it was going to be a woods/trail only vehicle. I was just curious about your situation.

My only suggestion is to visit the motor vehicle department. See what they suggest....

I'm more helpful on the older CJs..... it's easier to buy a title and VIN tag..... just do some swapping.

Good luck!!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Can't Get Enough

Tippy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am kinda in the same situation although I haven't built mine yet. I have a '95 fram and tub that I am going to swap the drivetrain from my CJ into. I went to the court house to see how to eventually title it and they told me I needed a title of a major piece. I told them I didn't have one because I bought it piece by piece from a junk yard. I asked about how to get a title for an asambled vehicle and she told me there was no such thing. So I said forget it and I am just going to uses the title and vin tag from my CJ. I will have the only square headlight, '95 CJ on the road! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

Tippy I do not doubt that they told you that, but how then do they title Built vehicles? Just curious..
Old 12-04-2003, 05:03 PM
runnwild1

In Ohio you must have it inspected by the State Highway Patrol. you must have ALL receipts. You should have the motor, tranny donor VIN no.s on receipt if you want vehicle titled on motor year. Any receipts from a private owner/seller must be notorized.

Go to your state highway patrol and they can either direct you to the office that handles this. In ohio they have a brochure to help you out.

You must be accountable for the parts you build it with and god help you if they find stolen equipment.

Steve
Old 12-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Tippy is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked the lady the same question. "You can't" was her reply. I asked about kit cars. "They come with a title" she told me. I asked about a home made trailer. "That's differnt and they don't need titles" was her response. That one I believed because my Jet Ski trailer never needed a title to get registered. They thought I was joking when I gave them a certificate of orrigin and asked them to title my trailer. I think she was too lazy to try to figure out a solution to my problem. Oh well, I guess the State of Nebraska will only get $25 from me every year instead of the $200 a '95 would bring in.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Old Hand

pnut is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look in the back of some street rod magazines, you can buy valid titles to vehicle for a fee of like $50. My dad did this and it worked just fine, no strings. I have no idea how legal it is. The ad is a small 2" x 2" square box, you have to look hard and it is not in all street rod magazines. If you can't find it, let me know AFTER you look and I can find it and email a scan of the ad.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Skip

Default Re: Obtaining title? Rebuilt parts jeep-have no t

either the frame has a vin stamped into it or the tub has a vin tag. These are or were titled. You should have a receipt for these. Take all your receipts to your state patrol or dmv. You may end up with a salvage title or in the state of Washington you can file for a lost title with unknown previous ownership. You get a "bonded title". The state is the legal owner for 3 years. You are the registered owner and can sell it etc. At the end of 3 years if no one has filed a claim of theft, you or whoever is the registered owner gets a clear title.
If you don't have receipts.....DUMB DUMB DUMB. This is why I have a shoe box of receipts for nuts, bolts spray paint, steel, anything I buy at a junkyard, garage sale, etc. You never know when they'll come in handy. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Old Hand

lindy80cj7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Every state is different. Go to your local motor vehicle dept and ask them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.