Hooking up Warn M8000, wiring ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Veteran

kutyafal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hooking up Warn M8000, wiring ?

Well, I finally got myself a winch. It's a used Warn M8000 that has a separate selenoid box and no instruction manual. There are 5 wires that come out of it. I got the red one figured out and luckily the other 3 short fat ones were labeled F1, F2 and A to go to field 1 and 2 and the armature. Now there is a thinner braided black wire also that I'm not sure about. Would this be ground also and where shold I attach it? The last cable I need help with is a clear cover fat one (battery negative I guess) but where does it go? There is another post at the bottom of the motor, would it go there? Also, this cable if supposed to connect to the battery negative is certainly not long enough to reach there. Soooo... where should I connect this baby? Any good ground will do?

Thanks for the help and happy Gobble times! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 05:04 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hooking up Warn M8000, wiring ?

Don't know how much this will help, but I know they show a little wiring in the PDF files.
DSI Warn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Randyzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Best wiring diagrams I have found are at www.darksiderz.co.uk/technical/winch
Scroll down the pics under the winch section and there are some color wiring diagrams that should help. There's some other cool tech stuff in that site too...
Old 11-28-2003, 06:41 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

Nice. Thats better wiring diagrams than I have seen online before. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Veteran

kutyafal is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so basically the only question I have left is do I have to connect the main negative ground cable to the battery negative terminal or is it OK to connect it to another chassy ground or motor block? What would be the best place given that the cable doesn't reach the battery anyway?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thorjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

I would hook it directly to the negative terminal. There is too much stuff between the battery ground strap and wherever you decide to ground the winch that could get in the way, restrict current flow, or possibly fry due to the heavy amps you will be pulling down. My 9500i explicitly said to connect to the negative terminal. If your cable doesn't reach, get a new one, and take time running it in the engine compartment and chassis. You want to keep it from streching, rubbing or any type of failure. There reason to buy a winch is you want it to work when you need it, you may not have the time to fix a bad connection, or a broken cable.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

didn't get a chance to read all of your posts but its a ground to the motor. I have mine connected using on of the bolts that connect the motor to the winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement