Self Bleeder Screws really work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2003, 05:53 AM
Addict

Reitman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Bleeder Screws really work?

I'm in need of a brake bleeding and I saw these self bleeder screws which I guess have a one-way valve in them. Do they really work? If not, how about the pump thing I've seen?

Thanks,

Sean
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Self Bleeder Screws really work?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Do they really work? If not, how about the pump thing I've seen?

[/ QUOTE ] 1. Yes, they work.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If not, how about the pump thing I've seen?

[/ QUOTE ]2. Yes, this works very well,
2. It can be messy, but it lets you do the job alone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

TOM85CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speed bleeders work. You can get them in the "help" section at most auto chain stores.

Later,
Tom
Old 10-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never used them but I understand they do work. I think I once knew a guy who's cousin knew a guy that used them. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I never could see the point in them especially the check valve bleed screws. You have to remove each bleed screw, replace it with the check valve then remove that and reinstall the original screw. If you are doing it by yourself, you can't pump the brakes and see the fluid come out so you don't know when you're done.

I'm lazy and seldom get in a hurry so I gravity bleed. Just open the bleed screws, go do something else for a while, and the fluid will force the air out. Be sure to make an occasional check on the master cylinder reservoir level. If you let it go dry, you have to start all over again. The only time I had any trouble was when I did the frame change. When I do brake work, I only work on either the front or the rears at one time and get that bled before I start on the other end. When I did the frame change, the steel lines got air in them so it took longer to bleed it out. And with having both ends open at the same time I had to just keep bleeding all four corners until I got brakes. This cost me to use more fluid than normal, but it cleaned the floor up well.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.speedbleeder.com/feature.htm
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.classicperform.com/speed-...ed-bleeder.htm [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Addict

Reitman is an unknown quantity at this point

When you gravity bleed, do you do all 4 at the same time or one at a time? On avereage, how long do they need? Since I don't drive the Jeep all that much yet, that seems like a pretty simple solution.

Sean
Old 10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

I bled all four at the same time when I did the frame swap, but normally I don't. Like I said above, I typically only work on the front or rear brakes at one time, then I bleed both wheel together. This way, if a problem comes up I know whether it is front or rear.

Why do your brakes need to be bled? If you know the problem to be front or rear just bleed that half. If you don't know were the problem is then bleed all 4 together.

I've had it take as little as 10 min or as much as over an hour. It depends on where the air is in the system as to how long it takes to get out. I have hurried it using a syringe that I had with a rubber seal on the end. Just fill the syringe with fluid from the reservoir and without removing the end from the reservoir, push the fluid through the hole in the bottom. My syringe broke so I'm going to try a turkey baster with a 1/2" piece of hose on the end to provide a seal. With this method, I only open one bleed screw at a time and then gravity bleed them with both/all open.

And for you Speed Buggy - HEY!
Old 10-18-2003, 10:46 PM
Old Hand

speed_buggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Bleeder Screws really work? *DELETED*

Post deleted by speed_buggy
Old 10-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Old Hand

unhumen is an unknown quantity at this point

I built one from a Schrader valve extention ( like they use on tires) and some clear tubing and an attachment to go on the bleeder valve, This was to bleed a hydrolic clutch on a toyota pickup. It worked ...The valve allows the fluid to pass through, when the peddle is pumped but keeps the air out when released..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement