OT/ Anyone replace a Water Pump on OHC Quad 4 Eng? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT/ Anyone replace a Water Pump on OHC Quad 4 Eng?

I have been picking up odd automotive repair Jobs and today I had a 98 Grand Am with a Dual over hyead cam, Think they call it a quad 4, 4 cyl engine. They say the watter pump needs replacing. So I look for the normal places that water pumps reside, and I cannot locate it. Then finally I find what resembles the Replacement pump that they brought me located on the passanger's sid back part of the engine. Does any of this sound familliar?

This will be a new experience for me, and I cannot find a Manual for it and my experience with the cheap hays manuals has not been plesant.

So anyone ever take one of these off? If so can you share your experience??

Jeff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2003, 08:33 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT/ Anyone replace a Water Pump on OHC Quad 4 Eng?

Have fun Jeff. I haven't done it to a 2.4 Q4 but I have done it to the other 2.3 ones. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's not fun. You also have to tear the exhaust off to get to it. The W/P is run off the nightmare(ish) timing gear.
GET A MANUAL !
Then find a buddy at the dealership that will let you copy the factory one.
You picked a "good" side job. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] And I hope you didn't price it cheap. ( I forgot what the hr. time was......but it was alot for a domestic W/P job)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Old Hand

in2mud is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep they are fun and if they over heated the fine piece of machinery it will probably need a head shorty too and you don't want to even get involved with that.

I won't even work on them and I turned wrenches for a living, had enough of them then. I'd say run while you still can they like to become a can of worms! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2003, 10:06 PM
balanced

Well I can't say that I have replaced one but...

We were looking at a 95 grandam w/a quad 4 engine. Everything looked good but the engine made a funny noise. To make a long story shorter.after a mechanic looks at it he says that the water pump and timing chain are bad. The book rate (so I was told) for this job is 2.5 hrs. At over $60.00 per hour that makes the repair (labor only) about $250.00

Hope this helps
Old 08-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I did that a couple of years ago on our '96 Pontiac. I had a nice shop to work in and every tool you can imagine and I did it in only SEVENTEEN hours. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] First you take off the RF hub cap and then go from there. The wheel, the inner panel of the fender, the engine hangar, the crank pulley, and the entire timing chain case have to come off to remove the chain from the sprocket on the water pump, and THEN you dig down under the exhaust to get to the pump attaching bolts and so forth. It's kind of a big job, actually; and not for the faint of heart. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Swansonoldcj

I've done it twice, and the second one took longer than the first. coroded nuts and bolts etc. and that was a few years ago. so with the passage of more time I would say run from it, unless you want to marry the quad. not one of GMs better designs...
gas.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

I remember that quite well Dave. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
one of the posts here
Old 08-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Addict

Grapehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT/ Anyone replace a Water Pump on OHC Quad 4

yeah we did one a few weeks back, and whenever i hear a parts guy say "have fun" i know im in for some fun stuff.

yeah, water pump is in back, under header, driven by timing chain.

i could probably knock it out in under 2 hours now that i know what im doing but until then, uhhhh...........HAVE FUN!!!! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

SilentBob2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT/ Anyone replace a Water Pump on OHC Quad 4

It Sucks big time. Id rather pull the tranny out of my jeep. Get you one of those nice little 10mm ratchet wrenches and a good 1/4 inch ratchet and some small hands, and a lot of patience and your good to go. And if you drink beer you better get you some of that to. Im not a drinker at all, but I was that day. I should of done the water pump before I put the head back on!!!! Talk about a nightmare.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

After a 21 hour day at work on saturday I ended up turning down the job on the quad. I did find a manual that called for basicly 2.5 hours work, But after looking at everything I decided that I could not fix it any cheaper than the shop had quoted them and the shop could provide som waranty for work. just did not have the time. I kinda guage stuff on weather I would attempt it if it was my car and this was right on the border.

Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement